First Carb. rebuild complete (Model B Farmall)

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

First Carb. rebuild complete (Model B Farmall)

Postby GeneL74 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanks to you folks who convinced me to try this myself!

Didn't have any help, but it wasn't too bad.... I think it turned out pretty good. Now if it works correctly when I hook it up and doesn't cause a major fire I will be thrilled!!! :D

Here's a before pic (this thing was REALLY a dirty mess)

And here's a pic of the carb. after the rebuild temporarily hanging by a few threads...

Thanks again for your help!
GeneL74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Feels good when some thing gets back together doesn't it!

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop
beaconlight
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 10314

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 pm

Gene:

Excellent :!: Well Done Image.

See, y'all can do it if you set your mind to it and get a wee bit of encouragement.. Now comes the hard part :!: :idea: :shock: :wink: :D :D Show everybody how you did it :!:

Hope you took Image :idea: :!: :D
Hope you wrote things down :idea: :!: :D

Cause I guess you are now the resident expert on M-S carbs
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby GeneL74 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Rudi wrote:Gene:

Excellent :!: Well Done Image.

See, y'all can do it if you set your mind to it and get a wee bit of encouragement.. Now comes the hard part :!: :idea: :shock: :wink: :D :D Show everybody how you did it :!:

Hope you took Image :idea: :!: :D
Hope you wrote things down :idea: :!: :D

Cause I guess you are now the resident expert on M-S carbs

The resident M-S carb expert, eh? It kinda has a nice ring to it, but before we get too carried away bestowing any "expert" titles on me, we better make sure the whole tractor doesn't explode when I hook it up!!! Thanks for a good laugh anyway!!! :lol:

Unfortunately I only took a couple pictures when I first took the carb. apart.... It was quite a mess, and I figured I would probably have to end up just getting a new one anyway, so I didn't get too carried away with the pictures. After a good cleaning it started looking a lot better though.

A couple pics before the bath:

If you folks only knew some of the messes I have gotten myself into by "doing things myself" --- I usually get everything worked out, but I have sure had my share of headscratchers!

My best mess to date was when I decided to build my own computer... When I decide to go for it, I didn't know the difference from a motherboard to a hard drive. It took me a couple weeks to figure out all the various components I would need, and to make sure everything would be compatible.

To make a long story short, the build went pretty good until I couldn't get Windows XP to load on the new machine... Let's just say I spent a good deal of time on the phone with tech support folks (most of which spoke TERRIBLE English) and after a day or two of trying various things (I was about to my wits end... Ready to throw the thing out in the yard and run over it ALOT) a nice lady who spoke great English from the company I bought my hard drive from says, "Wait a minute, did you say you are using a SATA wire on the hard drive??? Ummmm, the hard drive you have is not SATA compatible" ME: "Well why does the *&%$#%#@ hard drive have the SATA slot?"

Turns out they all have it, wether they are compatible or not.... I about had a nervous breakdown, and the problem all along was that I needed a regular ribbon cable vs. a SATA cable.

The good news is, the PC will be celebrating its third birthday this summer and it's still running like a well oiled machine.

If you made it through the whole story, here are a couple pics of when she was first built:

I'm not telling ANYTHING else on myself!!! :)
GeneL74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:16 am

Gene:

Well done... building a computer is not a simple excersice. I have been building PC's since 1992.. when I started blowing up XT's - 8086's and 8088's... and that is as far as I am going. Needless to say.. it is a lot easier today than it was back then....

Well done..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:00 am

a one time building your own pc to get what you wanted for a reasonable price was a good idea. Now, however, you will spend a lot more building one than a prefab one with the same features will cost.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Return to Farmall B & BN