This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ignition

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Ignition

Postby Tractor Rod » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm

:help:

My B is converted to 12v. It still has the old 6 volt coil and starter. I started it and it ran for a minute then died. I tested across the two terminals on the coil and it tested 1.4 ohm. It had an external resistor that wasn’t necessary so I removed it and the power goes directly to the coil. It looks like the original coil so could it have gone bad?

I am stumped!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Ignition

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:04 pm

12 volt conversion. 6 volt coil with external resistor or 12 volt coil with internal resistor - - REQUIRED. You need 6 to 9 volts across the igniton points. The resistor acts as a voltage drop.

1.4 Ohms test. OK. But that doesn't test when engine running and coil hot/warm. Your problem could be a coil, shorting out when warm.

Run for a minute -- fuel???

OK. Engine ran. Start checking the ignition system. Then move to fuel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Tractor Rod » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:15 am

Eugene,

Thanks so much for your reply. It is a 12 V system with a 6 V external resistor that was on it. After several inquiries I was told that the 6 V resistor wasn’t necessary if the coil was 6 V and it is. Can I get that resistor at Napa or where do you suggest?

It’s getting plenty of fuel so like you said it has to be ignition. Thanks again.

I’m getting plenty of fuel so it Hass to be something electrical and I will check

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:37 am

Tractor Rod wrote:Can I get that resistor at Napa or where do you suggest?
Auto parts store. Ask for a Chrysler ignition ballast. There are two Ohm values and they will ask which one you want. It doesn't make any difference which one you choose.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 am

Tractor Rod wrote:. . . After several inquiries I was told that the 6 V resistor wasn’t necessary if the coil was 6 V and it is. . . .

And stop listening to whoever told you that. That is, unless he REALLY said it wasn't necessary if the SYSTEM was 6-volt. In that case, you need to listen more closely.

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Tractor Rod » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Farmall B & BN”