This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Splitting a B

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Splitting a B

Postby T-Mo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:11 am

Or any narrow front tractor, for that matter.

Per the flywheel woe thread, I will be splitting my B. Since I never split a narrow front tractor, this does lead to some questions on "how-to". I have read some on this with various ways. Some say to take off the front wheels and pick up the front with a cherry picker. So, for those here who have split a narrow front, what would be the safest way? Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Splitting a B

Postby Slim140 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:52 am

I’ve always left the front wheels on with a tricycle split. Otherwise you have to support it left to right and also side to side. With the front wheels on you don’t have to be dead center and prevent the front to back tip. The wheels will help stabilize it if left on the ground.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:46 am

I support the rear and lock/block rear wheels for the split. Leave the front wheels on. I sling the front with a wide belt made for hoisting. I loop the belt under the engine and oil pan, back to the cherry picker. Making sure the sling is centered, roll the front away from the rear.

You could probably use several heavy duty ratchet straps for the sling. A splitting stand for the rear would make the blocking/stabilizing the rear easier, but you can use cribbing.

Other than the cherry picker, use what you have on hand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:41 pm

It has been a long time since I was involved with splitting a tricycle style tractor. I recall much the same as already stated, except I find it easier to leave the front in one place and roll the back half away. Unfortunately, that is usually a two person job. You also want to make sure both front tires hold air.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 am

Thanks, guys. I will be making a splitting stand similar to the one Dale Finch made. My brother-in-law, who is a lot better mechanic than I'll ever be, will be helping, and my nephew wants to help also. I'm thinking along the lines of what Jim stated above - roll the rear away from the engine, but we'll see when the time comes. The ring gear should be arriving today, but since my garage isn't heated, it will have to warm up some before we get this done.

Again, thanks to all who responded - it just confirms what I thought originally.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 pm

I split a BN spring of 2020 to replace a pilot bushing.

Mine had a belly mower under it.

I started by disconecting the belly mower, then rolled the tractor forward till the mower deck was up against the rear tires.

Used some heavy blocking and a bottle jack under the torque tube to support the rear.

Took the hood off, disconnected the items attached to the engine that would impede the separation.

I left the gas tank on and proped it up with a block of wood at the front of the torque tube.

Attached a swivel type lift ring to the right side of the engine and using a nylon strap attached to the lift ring and the exhaust manifold, hooked that to a engine lift and with that and leaving the front tires on, moved the engine forward to do the work!

Everything went smoothly! :) Easy peasy!

I tried to post pics, but file size too big! Ugh! :(
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:05 pm

Here's a link the thread showing the wood splitting stand I built for my B. I modified and reinforced the splitting stands that I made for my Cub. Worked great!

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=99083
Jim

Circle of Safety

GaryGaru
Zip Code: 75474

Postby GaryGaru » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:04 pm

Just finished splitting my b outside on dirt... I used scaffold with a 6x6 wooden beam ....used heavy duty come along style nylon straps to to support the front ... left my bush hog attached to the back on my home made 3 point ... attached a wench and chain to the back to separate it about 10 inches .... just enough room to install a new ring gear.... heated the ring gear in my wife's oven at 550 degrees for 30 minutes ... took it out with welding gloves and slipped it on the the flywheel... then i wrapped a nylon wench strap around the front and back nd carefully cranked the strap to pull them together once I had the bolt holes lined up ... cranked the strap a it more to apply a bit of pressure ... then I engage my power takeoff and slipped a small bar in to the u-joint of the bush hog drive shaft and slowly turned it ... and walla The shaft aligned... and the rest was easy... Wished i would of video taped it .....

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade