This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission and hydraulic fluid fill questions

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Transmission and hydraulic fluid fill questions

Postby pokitisme » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Well I had a manual for the Farmall H 1948. The manual only gives you the most basic information. So here's what I'm trying to figure out this first picture is this the transmission fluid fill area
https://ibb.co/mWBKT6

is this where I would fill the hydraulic fluid. By the way there is no hydraulic dipstick in there.
https://ibb.co/eaeCgR

Was there ever a rubber gasket that fit completely around the drill plug on the rear of the Farmall H 1948 I have what appears to be half of a huge rubber gasket and it leaks from that.
https://ibb.co/eP3cFm
https://ibb.co/fHRKT6

If you look at the left side of the drain plug you will see that it has something there which extends out further than the right side I think it's some kind of gasket or something somebody used to she'll that area. It's confusing to me because if you press on it it feels slightly rubberized

Also for the hydraulic fluid I'm planning on using 10 W 30 weight. As I have read that is a good choice for hydraulic fluid. As to transmission fluid I am not fully versed in that subject but I have read everything from mineral oil to 90 weight. Which I would have to get from that horrible Tractor Supply Company. I'm in Kansas City Missouri and temperatures are going to start dropping fast. So need to figure this stuff out
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission and hydraulic fluid fill questions

Postby Rodney51Cub » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm

The transmission fill plug is correct in your picture.

The transmission check plug is on the left side of the tractor
transcheck.jpg
transcheck.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 9405 times

Hydraulic fill is correct in your second picture. I believe it holds 6 quarts. I will try to get a measurement of the dipstick length unless some one else posts it first.

The third picture is the transmission drain plug. It may have some gasket sealer such as permatex on it, but no gasket or O-ring was used.

I use 80-90 wt gear oil in my H's. Have had no problems with that weight.

I use Case IH hy-tran in the hydraulics. I believe it was originally SAE 30 oil. 10W-30 should be good.

Rodney 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 am

Muchos thank you for the info there I pretty much figured that was all correct. But I did just come across another post I guess it's the fill valve for the belt pulley. I need to find a picture for that and I will post it later.... actually I just looked over my pictures the picture I have up for the hydraulic fluid valve that normally holds the dipstick the belt pulley is on top of that and there is a nut at the very top of the belt pulley is that where I fill the one quart of hydraulic fluid. And I have a wicked leak of a nasty Brown fluid which I think might be transmission fluid coming out at the rear transmission plug and it looks like the entire middle seal of the transmission it's hard to explain without pictures I'll take a picture tomorrow.

I did a rudimentary hydraulic fluid test originally with a 12in zip tie. And today stupidly with a very long stick LOL. It appears the hydraulic fluid is completely dry so I will have to top that off. I do have a three point hitch but my problem is that I have a drawbar as well I'll make another post on that because I'm trying to figure out how to hook up those two things at the same time.

Also another side question. Let's just say a standard hydraulic pump. Well not pump but the hydraulic thing that goes on the three-point forgot the exact term... piston LOL. Would that require a small measure more of hydraulic fluid added to the hydraulic pump. Meaning you guys are saying 6 quarts to the hydraulic pump but if the Piston is dry would you maybe need to add a slight bit more to the hydraulic pump. And is it possible to overfill the hydraulic pump and cause some kind of weird pressure issue so if I put 7 or 8 quarts in the hydraulic pump would that cause an issue. Because in my estimation you would have 6 quarts in the hydraulic pump but then you have the hoses leading to and from the valve and the single hose leading to the hydraulic piston I would estimate at least a half quart or a full quart for all of that hose length. If I remember correctly I have two hoses coming from the left side up to the valve as pictured in my transmission fluid fill picture. And then I have the two hoses leading to the back of the tractor from the valve. And then there is the additional maybe three foot hose from the Piston itself.

This is the three-point I have
https://ibb.co/i4eJ6R
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:46 am

Empty hydraulic hoses and cylinders. Initially fill the hydraulic reservoir. Cycle each cylinder once or twice. Wait a couple of minutes for any entrapped air to bleed out. Top off reservoir. Cycle each cylinder again.

Depending on the size of the hoses and cylinder(s), you may have to continue this procedure a number of times.

If your differential fill plug requires a gasket, they are available at auto parts stores. Oil pan drain plugs seals/gaskets. Generally the drain and fill plugs are pipe threaded and require no gaskets.

Wicked brown leak. Drain the differential and replace the gear lub. Most likely water in the gear lub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 pm

By the looks of your last picture, you have a seal or gasket leaking around the PTO shaft.
Not hard to fix but will require draining the rear end.
20171025.jpg

Rodney 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 am

The dipstick for the hydraulic system is approximately 12 inches long and attaches to the inside of the cap.
The full line is three inches from the end of the stick.

Rodney 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 pm

I do not know if all the H tractors were the same, but my 41 has 2 draun plugs, a front and rear. there are low places at each end and both plugs have to be removed to get all the oil out. Also if you have a belt pulley it holds about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts that is thrown in it from transmission gears, and I guaranty the oil in it will be a mess. If you are doing a proper job, the blet pulley housing needs to be removed and all the gunk cleaned out of it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 am

Rodney51Cub wrote:The dipstick for the hydraulic system is approximately 12 inches long and attaches to the inside of the cap.
The full line is three inches from the end of the stick.

Rodney 8)

That is excellent info to know. I used a very long zip tie and I was able to confirm after filling it with 10 W 30 oil that there was a healthy Supply now residing in the Belly pump region.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:04 am

But another question I have is the transmission fluid question from what I understand 85 to 90 weight is the type of transmission fluid on a Farmall H that should be used because it does not stick or settle as much as let's say 10 W 30 oil it's a lighter oil if I understand that but what I'm curious about is could I not use just regular transmission fluid in it such as a Walmart brand and I will post a few pictures here.

https://ibb.co/kiG2Nb

https://ibb.co/mHsFaw

I have found that going to Tractor Supply Company and Walmart and trying to buy specifically 8295 weight oil is a very costly venture. Around 45 bucks for a 5-gallon jug which at this point is kind of out of my pay grade lol. So I'm curious if there are other supplements that I could use that would be just as good you guys have had tons of tractor experience I'm sure you know of some other ways and other workarounds.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 am

pokitisme wrote:but what I'm curious about is could I not use just regular transmission fluid in it such as a Walmart brand

The trans oil you are referring to is NOT for your tractors transmission. Your H should use regular gear oil - like 90 wt. Ironically that oil you show from Walmart is similar to Hy-tran for your hydraulics which would be much preferred compared to the10-30 motor oil your using now.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Smokeycub wrote:
pokitisme wrote:but what I'm curious about is could I not use just regular transmission fluid in it such as a Walmart brand

The trans oil you are referring to is NOT for your tractors transmission. Your H should use regular gear oil - like 90 wt. Ironically that oil you show from Walmart is similar to Hy-tran for your hydraulics which would be much preferred compared to the10-30 motor oil your using now.

So for the transmission it should not say transmission fluid but it should specifically say gear oil.. and it should be of a gear oil in the 85 2 90 weight ratio

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”