This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

J B Weld

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

J B Weld

Postby Dusty B » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:49 pm

How successful would JB Weld be plugging a 1" hold in an exhaust manifold?? Would it hold against the heat and pressure?? Would welcome any other suggestions for solution also! The hole is on the outside, readily accessible, PO had a couple of hose clamps around the manifold over the hole!?! Worked to a degree!! Thanks, Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: J B Weld

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Dusty, I don't think the JB will stand the heat. If you could borrow an infrared thermometer, you could check and see how hot it gets when warmed up. I don't have a tube close by to see what the temp rating is. You might check with an auto parts store and see what they have.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:54 pm

JB Weld makes high temp putty, that comes in a single stick that is 2 layers and you cut off the amount you want, then knead it till an even color before applying. You will need to clean rust off as well as possible for it to stick. I have known of mechanics using original JB Weld to mount valve seats, so that may work also. You don't have much to loose by trying.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:24 pm

X2 on the putty. Regular JB weld is too runny to fill a 1" hole, though I am sure it would withstand the heat just fine if you could keep it in place until it cured. It is basically an epoxy mixed with metal dust. Once an epoxy is cured it is generally very temperature resistant.

Remember the old "Mighty Putty" sold by the late great product hawker Billy Mays? We have a much larger hole in a Super C manifold patched up using that stuff. It has held up since we bought the tractor several years ago.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Dusty B wrote:How successful would JB Weld be plugging a 1" hold in an exhaust manifold?? Would it hold against the heat and pressure?? Would welcome any other suggestions for solution also! The hole is on the outside, readily accessible, PO had a couple of hose clamps around the manifold over the hole!?! Worked to a degree!! Thanks, Dusty B

I think I would try to braze something like a quarter over the hole. Ted

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”