This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall h polarizing issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Farmall h polarizing issue

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:57 pm

brian kov wrote:I keep getting fire , so could it really be 180 degrees off time ?

Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:38 pm

I flipped the distribuator 180 and now I have nothing and to top it off my brand new starter switch must be shot , first it sounded like sparks inside then nothing after a few more attempts at starting . I am at a loss but I definitely think it is a timing issue
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:26 pm

Static time it.

Pull the plug out of the #1 (FRONT!) cylinder.
With a finger in hole, crank until you feel air pressure.
Align notch on front pulley with pointer. You are at TDC on the compression stroke.
Note which plug wire goes to the #1 cylinder on the distributor cap.
Pull the distributor cap off. Where is the rotor pointing?
If not to the post where the #1 plug wire is connected, your timing is wrong.

All positions mentioned from here on out are based on you being in the seat, facing forward.

1. The terminal on the side of the distributor should be roughly around the 3 o'clock position.
2. The metal tab on the rotor should point roughly between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
3. The post marked #1 on the distributor cap should be aligned directly above the rotor tab.
4. Going clockwise from #1, the wire from the next post (lower right) should connect to the #3 spark plug.
5. Continuing clockwise, the wire from the 3rd post (lower left) should connect to the #2 spark plug.
6. Finally, the wire from the 4th post (top left) should connect to the #4 spark plug.

This is what it's SUPPOSED to look like anyway. The tractor will run properly with the distributor in any position provided the rotor is pointing to the #1 post on the distributor cap when the #1 cylinder is on TDC, and the other three wires are in the proper order. Someone could have goobered it up in the past and gotten things way out of alignment.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for all of the insight , I am currently waitin for my new starter switch and will then proceed as above .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:26 pm

new starter switch in place , my dad was helpin me and figured some one must have had this dist apart before I got ahold of it and put it back together one tooth off . had it runnin but some thing was not letting it get full fuel flow , took the carb off and the pin that holds the float was half way out , tightened the holder and put the pin back in , cleaned the carb out and it has just been leakin every where .not sure if its the float height or what , any ideas ?