This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical Problem on Farmall H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:55 am

Yup, what Jim said. I used to wokr for a guy who had a small crawler that the clutch would stick on if it sat for a while. He would frre it by putting it in gear and letting it run up against a tree. One day it climbed it and almost flipped over before he got it stopped. I have ehard of people puttinmg a block under the clutch to hold it down, and spraying it liberally with brake cleaner. thye claim it helps, though frequently requires a few days.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:04 am

Amen to what Jim said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes things are so obvious to you that you don't say them, on the lots of space thing.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:46 pm

I started H in low gear this afternoon and drove it around for awhile. I could not shift gears nor engage the PTO while the motor was running and it was difficult to shift back into neutral after I shut down the motor. I believe that it has a stuck clutch. Any tips for freeing it up? Thanks, Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Start with a liberal application of Kroil. Give it some time to soak in and repeat a couple of times. Then, drive it like you did before and periodically push in the clutch and hit the brakes (be sure they're locked together) to put it under load with the clutch in. If it doesn't break loose you may have to try gently prying the disk off of the flywheel.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:26 pm

I have been thinking about the stuck clutch on the H and that leads me to this question? When a vehicle has a stuck clutch, would it always be in gear no matter what the position of the gearshift lever? On this tractor, if the shift is in the neutral position it can be started and the motor runs without putting the tractor in motion. It runs in neutral as if it doesn't have a stuck clutch. It just won't shift into a gear with the motor running. Does the behavior which I have described suggest a stuck clutch? Thanks, Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:57 pm

Yes, with the clutch being stuck the tranmission input shat will be locked to the engine, just as if the clutch weren't pushed down. In neutral everything will be normal, but pushing on the clutch won't let the shaft stop turning so you can shift or engage gears.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:11 pm

Dan, the way to view it is that the clutch is the connection between the engine and the transmission. A disconnect, if you will. Transmission gear selection is made while the clutch has the transmission dis-engaged from the engine. The transmission is a selection of gear ratios to determine how the engine power is put to the ground. That selection of gear ratios includes neutral which is motion in - no motion out. So, yes, you will still have a neutral. What you don't have is the ability to dis-engage the transmission input shaft from the engine because the clutch will not release.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:17 pm

Thanks, John and BD. You have erased my doubts. I will proceed on trying to free up the clutch. Please remain on call for the next few days. More questions will probably follow. I appreciate the input from each of you. Dan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:16 pm

Dan,

Try starting the tractor in one of the lower gears, and then by using the throttle to control engine speed to match forward speed, work your way up to 5th gear. Then there will be much more torque on the clutch and using the brakes is more likely to break it loose. That's what worked for me on my 8N (except it is 4 speed).
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 pm

Thanks, George. Will give that a try. Dan

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:23 pm

Used to drive an old Chevy dump truck (small dually) that the clutch would stick on if left sitting for a few days. Would either rock it or start it in gear and slam on brakes with clutch down. Again make sure to have plenty of room.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Clutch

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:52 pm

Another possibility is that the transmission input shaft is frozen in the pilot bearing. This doesn't happen very often.

Check out the I&T manual, IH-8, paragraph 197. You may have one of the H's that has a universal joint behind the clutch. If so you can disassemble the clutch without spliting the tractor.

Eugene

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:06 am

Thanks, Dan and Eugene. I hope to get back on it sometime this week. Dan

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:03 pm

Dan England wrote:Ike: When you talk with your brother would you ask how he corrected the problem. I suspect that I will be asking forum members about the clutch soon. Thanks, Dan

Dan,
I finally got an e-mail from my brother. I think most everything has been covered.

Anyway, here is his response:

"When it happened to me, I was able to block the clutch lever in the released position, put it in high and bump/jerk it enough to break it loose. If the starter is good, one time I put one in low and started it (have lots of room!) and with the clutch released, loaded in jerks with the brakes until it broke loose. Third option if the lower clutch cover is removable, is to try tapping and prying on the disc or trying to get a putty knife between the stuck parts. Last but not least, break the tractor and do it right. I have always been fortunate enough to get one of the first three methods to work."

Good luck.:)

Ike

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 pm

Thanks, Ike, for getting the information. I hope we can free up the clutch without a split. We have equipment to split a cub safely but nothing rugged enough to handle the bulk and weight of an H. Dan

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”