This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Live pto on an H?

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Live pto on an H?

Postby v w » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 am

This tractor is listed by the seller as a 46 H with live PTO.
The pto looks different than what I've seen. Picture is from craigslist so picture may disappear if seller pulls listing. I don't know how that works either. :?: Does anyone know about such a conversion? Vern

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Live pto on an H?

Postby Super A » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 am

I would guess it has a M&W hand "clutch" in it. That would stop the tractor while letting the PTO run.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:40 am

Here's a pic of my '45 H's PTO with over-ride clutch:

My PTO matches what's shown in the Farmall H and HV Parts manual (page 230) for serial number 118,000 and up.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm

The only H I was around much was older and apparently I haven't paid much attention to the pto on others. The 1-1/8 pto adapter looks familiar however. I didn't post the link because I felt such things belong in the vine and this is not exactly a cherry tractor from all the owener's heavy duty "repairs" (drawbar support) however I didn't see what would look like a M&W lever which would make a live pto of sorts.
I need some help here. Wasn't the M&W on the left side and mounted by replacing the left brake drum cover? Also when did IH go from 1 1/8 inch pto to standard. I would have thought it was before 46 but IH was slow adopting anything they didn't come out with. Vern

Kalamazoo craigslist

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm

There's no "live PTO" on that tractor. Not even an M&W Live Pow'r.

The owner probably thinks that turns = live, and does not understand what a "live PTO" really is.

Unless he is trying to charge extra for "live PTO" smile politely and nod. Trying to explain the difference to someone who is "certain" of what they're talking about can have a negative impact on your ability to negotiate. Nobody likes a know-it-all, which explains why I have few friends...

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:There's no "live PTO" on that tractor. Not even an M&W Live Pow'r.

The owner probably thinks that turns = live, and does not understand what a "live PTO" really is.

Unless he is trying to charge extra for "live PTO" smile politely and nod. Trying to explain the difference to someone who is "certain" of what they're talking about can have a negative impact on your ability to negotiate. Nobody likes a know-it-all, which explains why I have few friends...

I'm not interested in this tractor. It just struck me as odd. :D I grew up on an H, first tractor I ever drove. Couldn't drive the M. Didn't have strength to push the clutch in. This came up in a search for "Farmall". Vern

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Maybe they got live PTO mixed up with live hydraulics? Lot easier to add that! Or they could mean that the PTO turns :D or maybe they don't have a clue what it's got :lol:

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”