This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

super h overhaul

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

super h overhaul

Postby jrenn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I rebuilt the engine in our Super H with after market thin wall sleeves and bit higher compression pistons .Head was done at a engine rebuild shop and was resurefaced. NOS governor repair kit as well.Took it to a few fun pulls and it will pull down and lug ok but a sudden load will kill the engine dead. tryed different plugs ,timing electronic ignition. any ideas???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: super h overhaul

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Never messed with a Super H, but Dad's 41 had to run a little rich to handle sudden loads. Might also check the timing
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby jrenn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:24 pm

I had it on a dino a couple of years back and tryed different timing ,carb settings and different plugs. nothing changed much. In 4th gear full throttle I can bring it right to it's knees and it hangs in there great but I can slam the brakes on and kill it.Every thing in the govenor is new but i might try a stronger spring .Also I think a carb off a super 6 looks like it could fit so will try that too.Someone sugested a worn camshaft.Any thoughts on that?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 am

What does it do if you let the clutch out suddenly, does that kill it, or does it pull down a lot then recover? When you jam the brakes in 4th you are pretty effectively locking up the drive train, especially if your disc brakes are working correctly. The engine is not going to be able to override the brakes if applied fully, unless you lift your foot in time for them to release before your engine stops. Remember, you are operating a tractor that weighs approximately 3500 pounds, and a Super H engine unless modified produces around 40hp. Once you get it stopped or nearly stopped moving, that is a lot of inertia to overcome with an engine that may be down to very low rpm (also very low hp at that point) when the brakes release. Plus, I do not think the disk brakes with the ball and slot system they used release very quickly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure ANY tractor is going to take well to a "sudden load."

I know many perfectly healthy tractors that will die instantly if you drop the clutch in 4th gear. They're not meant to work that way, and they're not capable of working that way.

Unless this is something really extreme, like the moment you touch the brakes... POOF! It's dead.

Then, I really don't know. Extreme wear in the distributor maybe? The sudden loss of engine inertia "throws" the spark advance so much that it puts the engine out of time?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

jrenn wrote:it will pull down and lug ok but a sudden load will kill the engine dead.

jrenn wrote:I can slam the brakes on and kill it.
If I understand what you are doing.

When you lock up both rear wheels with the tractor in gear and clutch engaged - engine is going to stop the instance the rear wheels lock up. With rear wheels locked, the entire drive train is at a dead stop. Engine is going to stop unless the clutch is slipping.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”