This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 300 clutch problem

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Danny D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40228

Farmall 300 clutch problem

Postby Danny D » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I have a 1954 Farmall 300 row crop tractor with a TA that I just rebuilt. When I say rebuilt I mean every piece was disassembled, cleaned, repaired, painted and reassembled with all new, high quality parts when needed. The flywheel was ground, new clutch disk, throwout bearing, rebuilt pressure plate and rebuilt TA were all installed. Everything was adjusted to factory specs. The tractor performed like a brand new machine for about six months of light to moderate use. I did some grading work which required a lot of shifting and some hard pulling but nothing abuseive. I used the TA under heavy loads and for less speed as needed. Everything was fine. I would push the clutch pedal all the way in, the transmission would stop, it shifted easy. When letting the clutch pedal out the TA clutch would engage first then the engine clutch would engage. It worked perfectly. One day doing some snow plough work I noticed the transmission would turn with the clutch pedal pushed all the way in causing it to be hard to go in gear. It wanted to grind. It got worse through the day. When the pedal was let out even a quarter inch the engine clutch would engage. As the pedal was let out more the TA clutch would engage. With the clutch out the tractor operated as it should with no slipping and the TA would work in high and low. Now from a stop when the clutch is in, the transmission wants to turn so much the only way to get in gear is by grinding it in. The engine clutch is barely disengaging when the pedal is all the way down. The tractor takes off as soon as any pedal is let out. The pedal linkage, including the TA, on the outside of the tractor is adjusted correctly. What could have caused this problem to spring up so quickly and what would the fix be? Incidentally the tractor had the same problem three years ago before I started the rebuild. At that time the clutch was at least 40 years old and the tractor was in rough shape. I did take the cover under the engine clutch off today and did not see anything obviously wrong.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”