This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Extra Hole in Air Cleaner Cup

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Extra Hole in Air Cleaner Cup

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 am

Dropped the oil reservoir on my H's air cleaner yesterday to replace the oil and found an extra hole in the inner cup. There are the regular holes around the top of the inner cup, but one hole of the same size/diameter as the other is located about half way down the inner cup. Unlike a Cub's air cleaner, this H's extra hole seems to defeat the purpose of filling oil up to the oil line, since this extra hole is well below that line and would allow oil to seek it's own level both inside the inner cup and in the perimeter (where the oil should be higher).

Any of you know why this extra hole is there (or should be)?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Extra Hole in Air Cleaner Cup

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am

Oil level should be up to the full line, both the inner ring and cup will fill to that level. That is the purpose of the hole.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 am

Eugene wrote:Oil level should be up to the full line, both the inner ring and cup will fill to that level. That is the purpose of the hole.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that different from a Cub's air cleaner--where the holes are only at the top?

Thanks for the reply, Eugene.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am

Stanton wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that different from a Cub's air cleaner--where the holes are only at the top?
Without looking, I don't know. Never really paid attention. Will check the cup on my Cub this afternoon. Curious.

I have 4 tractors with oil filled air filters. 3 for sure, not counting the Cub, have gaps at the bottom of the inner ring, where it's attached to the cup, to let oil fill the entire cup.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 am

When filled to the proper level, oil fills the cup through the three holes in the cup in the Cub air cleaner.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 am

Possibly has something to do with allowing transfer through that hole of some of the sediment. Just a guess.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 am

Here's a related question: Could used motor oil be used in the cup vs. new motor oil?

Since the purpose of the oil in the bottom of the air cleaner is to have tackiness to catch debris/dust, couldn't old motor be used?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Stanton wrote:Here's a related question: Could used motor oil be used in the cup vs. new motor oil?

Since the purpose of the oil in the bottom of the air cleaner is to have tackiness to catch debris/dust, couldn't old motor be used?

Stanton,

I use new motor oil, for no other reason than that's the way Dad taught me to do it. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:06 pm

You could. Never tried it. Put in waste oil storage container, then use in the hog oilers.

I use new 30 wt non-detergent oil, the generic cheap stuff. I usually keep a quart or two on hand for lubrication purposes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Eugene wrote:...I usually keep a quart or two on hand for lubrication purposes.

I do too. But there are those times when I have to open a fresh quart or container of oil just to fill a 1 pint cup. Besides, this is for my H that had a brown "milkshake" in the air cleaner oil cup, so replacing it with used motor oil seemed like a step up, if you know what I mean.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

makes since to me.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby muleboss » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

makes since to me.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby muleboss » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 pm

makes since to me. All that oil does is catch dirt and such.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Used motor oil may be a step up from what was there and save a few pennies but I think I would rather "use the same oil as is in the crankcase" as is recommended. If I wanted to save a few pennies I would buy the cheapest quart of house brand 30wt (nondetergent even) I could find and use fresh clean oil. Watch for sales and buy a couple quarts, it ain't gonna go bad. :)

I realized the air cleaner doesn't work the way I thought it did after reading about it in the H manual. I had been told/read somewhere that when the air traveled down into the air cleaner and made the sharp turn to head back up that the dirt riding along couldn't make the sharp turn and landed in the oil where it was trapped. Not even close by the way the manual describes it. For what it's worth from the Farmall H manual:

Air Cleaning System
Clean air for combustion is asssured by a three-stage oil-type air cleaner. A heavy screen in the air intake cap prevents large particles from entering the air cleaner. The air then passes to the oil cup where it goes through a bath of oil. As the air rises to the intake manifold, it passes through a series of oil bathed screens and the fine dust is removed. As the oil from the screens works back down, it carries the dirt with it and settles in the oil cup. The oil cup must be cleaned and refilled regularly with new oil.

Oil Cup Service
Remove, clean and refill the oil cup every day, or after every ten hours of operation (more frequently when operating under dusty conditions). Refill the oil cup to oil level bead with the same grade of oil used in the engine crankcase. The capacity of the oil cup is 1-5/8 U.S. pints.
Do not remove the oil cup while the engine is operating.
Before replacing the oil cup, clean or wipe oil or grit from top bead of oil cup, oil cup retaining clamp, and the surface under the clamp.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks, Scrivet. When I posted that question yesterday, I had also just ordered the Owner's Manual for the H from Binder Books. I try not to ask questions that are answered in the Manual, but it was on my mind, so I asked.

I, too, was under a mis-nomer. I thought the air traveled down the intake tube into an empty inner cup, then traveled at a 90 degree angle thru the holes stamped in that cup over the top of the oil in the outer ring. The oil level line is approximately even with the holes in the inner cup. That's how I thought the Cub was as well. I didn't know that the air actually passed through the oil in the inner cup and the holes allow the air to exit the inner cup into the outer cup and on its merry way.

Learned something new today. I'll just fill the whole cup to the "Fill" line and let the oil do what it's supposed to do.

Thanks again. Manuals should be here later this week. :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”