This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall H live hydraulics

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
57chevytruckguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46058

Farmall H live hydraulics

Postby 57chevytruckguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:34 am

Hi to all! I am 4 gen.owner of a farmall H (the same tractor), I am wanting to put live hydraulics on it to run a loader I have the pump off an old 300,and the tractor is a 1951 so I should be good on the timing gear cover, but my question is how big should the lines to and from the pump and can you use the rear end as the reservoir (replacing the rear end lube with Hy-tran)? Any help and pics of other H's would be great!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Farmall H live hydraulics

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:45 pm

as I recall, an H transmission holds 5 or 6 gallons of oil, and that is still at a pretty low level in the transmission, so I am not sure how practical it is to make the conversion Using the transmission, especially since the 90 wt. would need to be replaced with HYTRAN, or a generic equivalent. Hytran was developed as a combination gear lubricant and hydraulic fluids, though there are several generic versions on the market. I have seen the conversion done using the belly pump reservoir, plumbed to the drain and the top filler for a return.

As to the pump conversion, I think the housing and the timing gear were the big concerns, but it sounds as if you may have that covered. Sorry, I cannot help on the line size, but hopefully someone will be along soon with more knowledge of how to do it than I have, also to correct any incorrect info I may have given you.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 am

Paraphrasing "Industrial Fluid Power" source. Not exact quotes. Keeping it simple. Basically the hydraulic hose or plumbing, internal diameter should match the pump's inlet and outlet port diameter.
All pressure and return lines can be of one size, the size of the pump outlet port.
Plumbing size to the pump inlet port should be much larger than in the rest of the system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 am

I think the suction line is 1" and the pressure line is 3/4".

Not real sure about using the rear end as the reservoir. It's probably not real clean in there first and foremost.

Yes, a filter will protect the pump, but if it gets plugged from all the crud in the rear end, that will ruin the pump just as quick as dirty oil!

Also, the rear end will be VERY noisy with the Hytran. Gear lube quiets the whine.

57chevytruckguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46058

Postby 57chevytruckguy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 pm

thanks for all the input ,I am going to dump the idea of using the rear end and going to use an extra tank hooked to the belly pump for the live hydraulics that way I can filter both systems THANKS AGAIN!

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”