This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thinking about buying an H, have questions..

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027
Circle of Safety: Y

Thinking about buying an H, have questions..

Postby Chris D » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Looking at buying an H to fix up as my grandfather used to have one on the farm growing up. Since he has passed away I have often thought about buying an H to restore in memory of him and the time we shared as I grew up. So my questions are is there any particular problems to look out for that are common among them? Any years better than others? And also how to identify one with a M&W hand clutch? Also any tips, suggestions and the like all appreciated. Thank you all 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: Thinking about buying an H, have questions..

Postby Bob Perry » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 pm

I love H's. I guess because it was always our smallest tractor, hence, the smallest driver spent a lot of time on it, as a child. And then later- comfortable, sitting up high with clear view, and easy on/off.

One thing to check is the clutch. If it grabs at the bottom, it needs to be replaced, but you can replace an H clutch without splitting it.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 pm

M&W hand clutch. Big old lever on the left side. This is not as I understand it a true clutch but rather disconnects the left axle. You still need the foot clutch to change gears. It is otherwise kind of like having live power on the pto if you want to stop without stopping the PTO.. Never drove an IH with such a set up but I'v been told they are the same as on an Allis 45 which was made that way for the Allis round baler which had to stop forward motion to tie and drop the bale. Good luck on your search. Vern

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

The lever comes up out of the brake housing on the left side, and the brake housing itself will be a cast piece instead of a tin pan like the right hand side.

M&W clutches are uncommon, and parts are tough to come by. If you find a good tractor at the right price without the M&W, don't hesitate to buy it unless you plan on baling a lot of hay :)

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 am

There really is very little differance in any of the Hs. Pretty much an H is an H, irregardless of the year it was made. The exceptions would be the 1939 and early 1940 model years. Those earlier tractors did have some very minor differences such as the seats and I think there was some differances in the belt pulley drives as well. Also, there are some differances in the internals of the transmission and rear ends which might cause some interchangeability issues with later tractors when hunting down parts. One of the differances I have encountered just recently is the bull pinion shaft and brake drums. It seems that the Hs built prior to serial number 70,287 have a different bull pinion shaft, and the brake drums used on those models will not interchange with the pinion shaft and brake drums used on the later tractors, but the brake bands themselves are fully interchangeable.

In short, to ensure you do not run into any of these issues, just look for an H with a serial number of 71,000 or higher.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 am

they sell cheap here Chris, saw one sold for $800 with new rubber yesterday , I do not care for them JMO
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:04 am

Boss Hog wrote:they sell cheap here Chris, saw one sold for $800 with new rubber yesterday , I do not care for them JMO
Boss

May I ask why you do not care for an H? I have many hours driving one and did not have any problems. They seem to me to be as good as any tractor of that size and era. Vern

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

if ya want one with a wide front , try to buy it that way . if ya buy a wide front seperate it is bound to be missing a few hard to find parts .
also if ya want one with a 3 pt hitch try to buy one with it on there otherwise they are pricey .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

v w wrote:
Boss Hog wrote:they sell cheap here Chris, saw one sold for $800 with new rubber yesterday , I do not care for them JMO
Boss

May I ask why you do not care for an H? I have many hours driving one and did not have any problems. They seem to me to be as good as any tractor of that size and era. Vern

All around here are tricycle , they would turn on a dime and turn over on a hill
Wide fronts do command a perineum If you want a 3 point tractor buy a 3600 Ford , JMO
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm

As a child I drove the M with the M-W conversion pulling a hay wagon. Worked very well for a young boy not really old enough to drive an M. The conversion was made so we could chop silage.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:29 am

Boss Hog wrote:
v w wrote:
Boss

All around here are tricycle , they would turn on a dime and turn over on a hill
Wide fronts do command a perineum If you want a 3 point tractor buy a 3600 Ford , JMO

A tricycle H would be more prone an operater rolling one over than would a four wheeler but this is true of any of the older row crop tractors. I don't know of it being more prone to rollover than others of that age. The H was introduced in 1939 and the Ford 3600 in 1974. The Ford also has nearly twice the power. And three times the cost. I still believe the H to be as good as any for its size and age. Vern

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”