This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

195? Farmall H Starter

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
shannon frey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13648

195? Farmall H Starter

Postby shannon frey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I just bought a 195? Farmall H, it was running then started sputtering now it will not even start. I replaced the coil, plug wires, plugs, points and condenser. It is a 12v conversion. Now the starter will turn but will not engage on the flywheel? Any ideas? I did remove the starter and checked the teeth, they are fine. I need this tractor badly any assistance is greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 195? Farmall H Starter

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Shannon - It sounds like the starter bendix unit is not kicking out when the starter turns over. I'd remove the starter from the tractor, secure it tightly in a vise and with a battery and a set of jumper cables engage the starter by attaching one cable to the starter body and touching the other cable to the stud on the starter where the cable from the switch connects. The starter should turn quickly and the bendix gear should kick out to the engage position. The bendix may be jammed or broken. A good auto parts store such as NAPA should have a replacement bendix unit. If you have a good auto electric shop near you they will either have what you need or can get it quickly. They may test and / or repair it for you pretty reasonably.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

shannon frey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13648

Postby shannon frey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:02 am

I will try that tonight, thank you. One problemn I have been having is getting parts, I get asked what year and I am never sure, the data plate is buried under paint, is there anyway to positivley identify what year it is whithout that serial number?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 am

Shannon - there are casting dates cast into the major castings of the tractor. If you can locate the casting dates it will give you a rough idea of when the part were cast and thus a ballpark estimate of when the tractor was made. The casting dates consist of two sets of numbers and a letter such as 11*3*A. The first number is the month, the second is the day and the letter designated the year. There is a chart on TM Tractor's site with the corresponding years for each letter.
If the serial number plate is there try cleaning it with some solvent on a cloth. It may take some time but you can soften the paint and remove it getting down to the plate. The serial number is stamped in so once the paint is out of the way you should be able to read the number.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”