This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall H sediment bowl

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall H sediment bowl

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Shackleton's is leaking around the lever and he called me for advice. He said the packing probably needed to be replaced, but he was surprised that after removing the single nut, he couldn't remove the shut off lever. The Cub bowl has two nuts, and I'm wondering if its just corrosion that is binding his up. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Re: Farmall H sediment bowl

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:08 am

Bob
Bob if it turns freely I would remove the nut only re-wind packing around the shut off shaft and replace the nut, if it has the t - handled style you can drive the pin off the shaft mine had a splined drive pin on our M , if it has the brass 90 the nut will slide off then rewind and replace the nut, do not over tighten the packing, just snug enough that there is some drag when you open and close.
If the shaft will not turn freely then he has to get that loosened first. as you well know.
I would check to make sure it is sealing well before you rewind the packing.
Hope this helps
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:50 am

I belive they are still ava at the IH dealer.Not to much $$$ either.I had to go thru 3 sediment bowls yesterday,I ran out of gas on my 47 and the cork gasket dried up.Put gas in and leaked all over.Dropped the glass bowl[oppps].It was a aftermarket sediment set up.Nothing fit so put an IH org back in.What should have only been a gasket turned out to be a pain in the neck.errrrrrr!!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 am

61782C91

$37
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am

The stem should unscrew from the assembly after the packing nut is unscrewed. He should then be able do whatever is required to redo the packing. Reinstall by reversing the removal steps. If it is an original style, there is no packing. It is a backseating valve. A backseating valve needs to be COMPLETELY open to not leak. Maybe his problem is that the threads for the stem are too gunked up for it to open completely and it all needs a good cleaning.

If cleaning/repacking doesn't fix it, get a new assembly.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”