This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gord's Super H Fuel Line Project

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Gord's Super H Fuel Line Project

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Been doubting my abilities lately. The last few months, no matter what I tried, I could not get Ellie running.. even with Cecil patiently walking me through stuff. CRS I guess.. :oops: :roll: . At CubFest Northeast NB 2009 this past weekend though, Cecil and the gang helped me understand that what I did manage to get done was a learning experience and the problems that still existed were beyond my diagnostic abilities. That being that, I felt a bit better.. and the weekend really was good for me. I got really re-energized, I learned a lot and realized that I am not a complete dufuss at this stuff so it was okay to try again. Gord was over the last couple of days and we decided to get the Super H and the Super A up and running. They need to stretch their legs before winter sets in. Now is a good a time as any.

On the Super H, lots of things had to be done after they were towed up to the pole barn after setting in the field for the winter. Oil, coolant, grease all needed to be attended to, battery and connections charged and cleaned. Last but not least, drain old gas, and fill up with new gas. While doing this Gord realized that to install the battery box properly, the fuel lines would have to be redone as there is very little clearance between the box and the Sediment Bowl the way it was orientated. This Super H has 2 tanks which means that there are two fuel lines which further complicates and crowds the area. One for Kerosene and one for Gasoline. I assume that the large tank was for Kerosene and the smaller or reserve tank was for Gas. It has been changed around, with the larger tank now holding Gas and the smaller tank essentially empty. I noticed when Gord called me over that the fuel lines were copper :shock: :!: - so knowing that copper retains heat which will weaken the line in time and that vibration will also weaken and possibly chafe the line, we decided now was a good time for us to learn how to make steel lines.

I took a page out of George Willer's handbook and utilized a pulley for my Cub as a bending tool after we crimped the first bend on a bending tool. Suffice to sat this was an interesting project and it has given me enough confidence now to probably make Ellie's lines in the next few weeks as we button her up.

Here are some pics of the Super H Fuel Line Replacement Project :D

Got the first few bends done to get the line from the carb up and around the inside cheek of the Oil Bath Filter

Checking to see how it all lines up at the Fuel Sediment Bowl. This one is much different from the Cub units.

There is controversy over the proper fitting to use I guess, so here I am checking to see if the stock 5/16" brake line fitting (1/2"-20NC male) will seat the ferrule properly. Seems to.. will see if there are any leaks.

As there will be very little room for bends after we reorientated the sediment bowl, we decided to utilize brass fittings instead of trying to bend a really tight 180 degree loop which is way beyond my abilities.. :big shy: The next series show how we got around that little problem.

Once the main line was done, we realized that we would have to either plug the inlet from the secondary tank or run a new line there as well. As you can see by the empty compressionn fitting, there is an orifice that needs a solution. Since the main line went well, we decided "in for a penny in for a pound" and redid the secondary line in steel as well.

As you can see, this one involved a couple of bends in close succession and with not a lot of leeway for boo-boo's. I think we done got it though.

After ensuring all the connections/junctions were tight, we turned on the gas. One fitting needed another turn, and with that, no leaks at all even after a half hour.

Now on to the next issue... sparky :!: :arrow: :roll: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Re: Gord's Super H Fuel Line Project

Postby Harold R » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Nice work Rudi. Looks a little more involved than a cub. What ever would we do without the good ole 5/16th brake line. :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Gord's Super H Fuel Line Project

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Harold:

Thanks, it is appreciated. I am really kinda proud of that .. first line I do on a tractor and it came out ok. Only made one boo-boo and it just cost me 4 inches or so of brake line. and YEAH :!: that 5/16" line is something I am going to have to keep in stock. Went through the two lines I had on the H and Super A, so gotta get more. I like it.. easy to bend once you figure it out. After doing the H and the Super A today, I am more confident that I will be able to bend the line for my Cubs now. The Cub fuel line is a bit different from what I can see based on the H and Super A. The H had a couple interesting twists but essentially only on two planes. The Super A like the Cub is on at least 3 planes .. keeping the orientation is challenging for me at least. But I can tell you it was fun.

The line has no leaks as we found out today when we got the H running. The smile on Gord's face was enough to make one's day. This was his father's H, so it means a lot to my friend, so getting it running was something I really wanted to help make happen. It was a GOOD day today. :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”