Farmall H

Tue May 30, 2006 7:27 pm

I have a '51 Farmall H. The upper petcock on the oil pan leaks oil. I have closed it tightly, but when i am on a slight incline, it leaks oil. The oil also leaks right after I stop using the tractor. The oil pressure is good, but since It leaks, i just add in what came out when i want to use it. Is there any way to fix this leak? Thanks.

Tue May 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Depending on why it is leaking, you may be able to sela it with JB Weld, etc. If it is the shutoff itself, they are available form dealers,, as well as OEM Tractor parts

Tue May 30, 2006 9:01 pm

If originallity isn't high on your priority list, plain old pet cocks work fine. I can't remember, its either 1/4" or 3/8 npt. When I went to buy some at CaseIH thats what they sold me. Other option is to remove the leaky one and just see if something is lodged under the valve. Most likely the threads are tired though.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:08 am

If I did replace it, how would i take it out?

Wed May 31, 2006 7:29 am

The petcock original part number is 1998TA. May have a different part number by now.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 am

bear4work wrote:If I did replace it, how would i take it out?

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey! :D

It just turns out with a plain old open-ended wrench of the appropriate size. There's a bung welded into the pan which the petcock threads into.

Should just turn right out. Shouldn't be rusted in, living in an oil-rich environment down there. Don't force it if it doesn't come relatively easy, or you'll damage the oil pan.