This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Starter issue

Postby pokitisme » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am

I took the starter off my Farmall H. Not sure what year something like 32 238. Got the starter fixed put it back on and now it will not engage the flywheel.. the engine is not locked up I was able to crank start it the other day.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter issue

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:24 pm

More information needed.

Does the starter turn? Over running clutch not engaging? Professionaly rebuilt?

Battery, cable/terminal condition? Voltage drop between battery terminals when starter switch engaged? Voltage drop tests?
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 am

Yes the starter turns and it I just had it repaired at a electrical place. The engine does turn over as I said I was able to hand crank it and get it started. The only thing that happened was after having the tractor for maybe a month or so the battery post on the starter came loose and I had that repaired and supposedly the starter is in good condition now. It could possibly be bad batteries that I've been using. But I have not tested that part yet
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:19 am

Are you sure you don't have positive/negative switched at the battery? Your H is probably positive ground (negative to the starter lug). The starter won't engage if it is spinning the wrong way.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 am

Switching battery cables has no effect on the starter, it will still turn the same direction.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am

Bench test the starter. Place/secure starter in vise. Good 6 or 12 volt battery and jumper cables.

One battery cable to starter case making good contact. Other battery cable touch the starter terminal lug/post.

Starter should turn and the over running clutch spring forward and turn.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Great folks giving you great info. keep us posted. Good luck.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:59 pm

Yes the starter has been bench tested. When the starter is on the tractor. It sounds like it is trying to engage the flywheel but grinds a little bit at the end of the clutch spring cycle as you guys call it. The tractor is a key ignition. I turn the key and it did start before. Then one day it started having starter issues. There was no starter sound. I took it to a electrical repair shop they fixed the battery terminal on the starter it had broken loose. I brought it back hooked it up to the Tractor I turn the key you can hear the starter moving the clutch Ford but it sounds like it's hitting the gears on the flywheel but for some reason not connecting up with them. The flywheel does not look damaged as I have hand-cranked the flywheel in a complete circle looking at every section there is some shine on the teeth altice appear to be in the same angle. My cousin who owns a small engine repair shop in Holden Missouri told me that the batteries I'm using might not have enough juice to actually turn the flywheel or something I don't know. He's been busy LOL I know that most of the batteries I am using are very weak. When trying to bench test with any of those batteries I could not get the starter to work when I bench tested it with my truck battery it worked fine. On the tractor any one of those batteries will make the starter operate but it could be a battery issue

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am

I had a 56 cub with a weak 6 volt battery. So I had a 8 volt sitting close. It turned over a lot quicker. So I would say its your battery. Good luck.
In my line of work

" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:17 am

Eugene wrote:Voltage drop between battery terminals when starter switch engaged? Voltage drop tests?
Internet has number of instructional videos on voltage drop tests.

The tests can usually be conducted at no cost and will disclose electrical problems such as a weak battery.

Harbor Freight has inexpensive digital multimeters, usually less than 6 dollars.
I have an excuse. CRS.

oldfarmkid
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29669

Postby oldfarmkid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm

Another thing about batteries. When you place a volt meter across the battery posts while it is just sitting there (at rest). If it is a twelve volt battery it may read 12.5 volts and you may think it's a good battery. But it is always best to test a battery while under load (spinning your starter). So you need to have a volt meter across your battery (under load) with starter spinning. If your battery is good your volt meter should read 10.5 volt dc for a healthy battery. If your battery has a very weak cell it could read 8 volts dc or less ( bad battery). Not enough voltage or current to spin the starter and engage the flywheel. It's always a good idea to get, as has been wisely said, at least a cheap multimeter, select DC volts and watch a youtube on how to use it.
Makes life easier when you can take something invisible (voltage) and make it visible (volt meter digital read out).

Good Luck

Jameshmyers
Zip Code: 27253

Postby Jameshmyers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Put in a new ignition switch and replace / test the battery, but first clean all terminals and connection points. Typically when I’ve had this problem it’s been poor contact.