This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

History Question

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Edd_D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31793

History Question

Postby Edd_D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 am

What year and what model did the International Harvester Company introduce the 3 point hitch? I ask this question because my father owned an International Harvester Truck and Tractor Company back in the late 1940's and 1950's and he told a company vice president that he couldn't sell tractors even to his best friends because they refused to put a 3 point hitch on their tractors. The Vice president told him that "he didn't know what he was talking about". He sold his distributorship and the next owner lost a 400 acre farm as everybody was buying Fords and John Deeres.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: History Question

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 am

I would have to do some checking to be sure but I think the first with an honest-to-goodness three point hitch was the 404 and 504. The 06 series right on through the 66 series was available with either fast hitch or three point.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 am

I had a 1958 Farmall 340 that came with the factory attachment which converted the 2 point to a fixed 3 point hitch. Good design which made hookup easier. Only problem was some implements did not have the standard spacing for the lift pins.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am

BIGHOSS wrote:I had a 1958 Farmall 340 that came with the factory attachment which converted the 2 point to a fixed 3 point hitch. Good design which made hookup easier. Only problem was some implements did not have the standard spacing for the lift pins.

They made adapters to go from FH to three point, probably when FH was first introduced. We have one for our F-230. They work, but sometimes you have to take some stuff apart and re-position it to get hooked up.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”