History Question

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 am

What year and what model did the International Harvester Company introduce the 3 point hitch? I ask this question because my father owned an International Harvester Truck and Tractor Company back in the late 1940's and 1950's and he told a company vice president that he couldn't sell tractors even to his best friends because they refused to put a 3 point hitch on their tractors. The Vice president told him that "he didn't know what he was talking about". He sold his distributorship and the next owner lost a 400 acre farm as everybody was buying Fords and John Deeres.

Re: History Question

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 am

I would have to do some checking to be sure but I think the first with an honest-to-goodness three point hitch was the 404 and 504. The 06 series right on through the 66 series was available with either fast hitch or three point.

Al

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 am

I had a 1958 Farmall 340 that came with the factory attachment which converted the 2 point to a fixed 3 point hitch. Good design which made hookup easier. Only problem was some implements did not have the standard spacing for the lift pins.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am

BIGHOSS wrote:I had a 1958 Farmall 340 that came with the factory attachment which converted the 2 point to a fixed 3 point hitch. Good design which made hookup easier. Only problem was some implements did not have the standard spacing for the lift pins.

They made adapters to go from FH to three point, probably when FH was first introduced. We have one for our F-230. They work, but sometimes you have to take some stuff apart and re-position it to get hooked up.

Al