This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 364 Glow Plug Light

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
IronLion
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78619

IH 364 Glow Plug Light

Postby IronLion » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 pm

I am seeking advice on my late '70's diesel tractor. After completing a new top end, I want the glow plugs to work properly. The previous owner had the wiring disconnected and missing. Looking at the manual, the glow plugs are wired in series through what I believe to be a resistor/light on the dash. When the key is turned past the "on" position to where you begin to feel the spring prior to the starter engaging, the glow plugs get power. The light on the dash is missing:

1) Is the light on the dash a resistor and a light which gets brighter when the glow plugs warn?

2) Whatever the light is, it is not available from IH/Case. What can be substituted?

If the light does contain a resistor, I want to replace it with the proper light.

Also, is there a way to test the glow plugs on the bench? One thing is for sure, they do not run at 12 volts.
The manual is light on info.

Thanks a bunch!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH 364 Glow Plug Light

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

I can't help you with info specific to your 364, but I'm guessing your glow plug system is much the same as a lot of others. My Kubotas have that type of system. The glow plug indicator is merely a resister that glows as it gets hot, corresponding to the temperature of the glow plug, itself. You might try Kubota, as a source for a replacement, I see them listed on ebay, occasionally. Yes, you can bench test your glow plugs, just apply 12 volts, for a few seconds, they should get noticably warmer, just don't apply 12 volts for very long.
And, by the way, welcome to the forum!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 am

I am not real familiar with that particular setup, but some I have seen used a thermistor in series with the light. A thermistor is a resistor that changes value as it gets hot, and as it warms up it's resistance gets higher. What it did was provide a timing element that was affected some by the ambient temperature, and on those units you held the key in the heat position till the light went out, then started it. I think many diesel pickups used the same system.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I doubt that they are wired in series for if they were if one goes bad the all don't work. They are probably wired in parallel ie. the wire loops from one to the other. The return circuit is the engine block.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 am

Bill, I think he meant that the resister / indicator is wired in series to the glow plugs, which would be correct. The glow plugs are then wired parallel. A little more info on the 364 would be good, in order to know which system the tractor has, but the thermistor style system would also require a relay system to function, I doubt they got that fancy on the 364.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

On the JD1050 I had the glow plug was in the intake manifold and heated fuel. When around 10 degrees F it took about 20 seconds with the key turned backwards before turning the key the other way to start.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

A quick test to see if your glow plug is bad. Disconect wire to glow plug, hook test light to positive on batery and touch to were wire conects to glow plug. if no light, then glow plug is bad. if light lights then glow plug is good. Provided that your batery is negitive ground to tractor.
Pete from Virginia Beach

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”