This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The battery that went dead

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910
Circle of Safety: Y

The battery that went dead

Postby panda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am

A friend has a Case 300 that would stay running less than 30 min and we could not find the culprit. The battery was discharging and search as I might I could not find the problem. The other day he called and asked if the starter was supposed to run when he put the key switch in the acc. position. We discovered the key switch was shorting out intermittently and engaging the starter. This activity (heavy load on the charging system) killed the regulator. Replaced the key switch and now he can run for 2+hours on a fully charged battery. Waiting for the new reg. to arrive to put the system in good order. This is the first time I ever found this type of problem. Who would have thought a key switch would short out intermittently. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: The battery that went dead

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 pm

The starter drive and/or flywheel ring gear may be damaged by the starter running while the engine is also running. If It works OK now, that is good. Better start saving some money for the future needed replacement of these parts.
Luck favors those who are prepared

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: The battery that went dead

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm

I agree big time with Bus Driver on the starter/ring gear damage!---and yes I have had starter switches stick on different equipment, BUT you can tell right away if starter is still turning or not soon as engine starts so get it shut down BEFORE damage happens if they do stick! they make one heck of a noise, so there is no reason to keep running it! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”