This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Continental Engine and McCormick 4E Hammermill

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tobaccoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Continental Engine and McCormick 4E Hammermill

Postby tobaccoman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 am

Will a Continental Y69 power unit(at least I think this is the correct designation), like the ones on the early IH pull-type combines, etc turn a McCormick 4E hammermill properly? What size pulley would be needed on the power unit to turn the mill 3200-3500rpms? The power unit I have has the shaft extending to the rear, but is offset to the left of the center line of the engine with a hand clutch. Directly in front of the shaft is a place to put 90w oil in; is this a gear reduction unit??
I'm hoping someone on here has experience with this setup or a similar one.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Tobaccoman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Continental Engine and McCormick 4E Hammermill

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 am

That unit may change the speed and also is a reverser. Depending on what it came off of, the speed reduction may be different. I suggest you put a chalk mark on the output pulley then crank the engine a full turn and see how far the output pulley turns. From that you can calculate an approximate speed reduction. Then you will need the engine PRM and the size of the pulley on the hammermill to calculate what size you need on the power unit.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Continental Engine and McCormick 4E Hammermill

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 pm

If it came off a combine--well at least a 52R, the reduction gearbox was shafted directly to the main drive gearbox on the combine, so it should be somewhere around 540 RPM, assuming the engine governor has not been "adjusted." Not sure about the arrangement on the 62 combine but I would think it would be similar.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”