This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

H or M with a IHC 420 baler?

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mark1757
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mark1757 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:49 am

I have a International Harvester 420 baler.
Should I purchase a H or M to run this size baler?
Otherwise, what is the minimum size (IHC) tractor I should use?
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Mark
"But the Farmall Cub is part of the family, we could never sell it." My wife. 4/9/2007

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 am

Mark - I'm not familiar with the 420 baler but since neither the H nor the M has live pto I would recommend something else to run the baler. Our neighbors ran a pto driven baler with a 450 Farmall which would be very close to the M so I would think the M would be capable if you can work around the live power issue. In either case, I think it would be a pretty good load even for an M.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jwal10
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jwal10 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:40 am

I ran a 430 with a 454, more than enough power. 454 is 40 hp. I would want a live pto if baler doesn't have its own engine. IHC balers run smoother than some others. H would run it but M would use availabe capacity.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 pm

Dad ran the old 430 baler with the Super M when the park lock linkages in the 1066 came apart. Rain was threatening, and the tractor was there, so...

Once up to speed, balers really don't take a whole lot of power to run. The flywheel helps that, and if you're quick on the clutch, you can pop the tractor out of gear and get power back to the PTO before the flywheel spins down.

He's told me stories about my grandfather baling with an M and how he'd ride with his left foot on the shifting lever, and when he'd run into a tough spot, he'd "kick" the tractor out of gear without clutching.

An H on flat to moderate rolling hills, if you're not pulling a wagon. Otherwise, an M.

mark1757
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mark1757 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 am

Thank you all very much for your assistance. :D
I think I'll go with the M unless something else shows up.
"But the Farmall Cub is part of the family, we could never sell it." My wife. 4/9/2007

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”