This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie with questions

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Badger
Zip Code: T7y1g7

Newbie with questions

Postby Badger » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:07 am

Hi! I’m new here, and new to the IH family.

I got an IH Industrial 2504, gas, this past summer. It’s got an international 2000 loader on it.

I’ve recently developed an oil leak. I was wondering how hard it is to drop the oil pan (looks to me like the front end undercarriage is in the way, and those back 3 bolts will be an issue). When i undo the bolts, does the pan come out easily, or does it get hung up on the undercarriage?

Also, how hard is it to split the tractor? I’m thinking my problem may be the engine seal, because none of my problems with anything ever, have a simple solution.

With my setup, IH2504/international2000 with bale forks, i wonder if i’ve flexed the tractor by moving 2000pound bales, thus causing separation of the engine seal.

The dipstick shows about 1/8” below the add line, when the tractor has been sitting. When i add oil, it starts leaking, until the level drops to that mark again. That level, therefore, indicates the level of the leak. Is that “oil pan gasket level”, or “engine seal level”, does anyone know?

I appreciate any tricks/tips/direction/links you can provide.

I love my tractor. I just want to help it stop peeing oil!

:)

Thanks!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie with questions

Postby Stanton » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:31 pm

Thanks for posting your questions in the correct sub-forum. I can't help you with the leaking, but want to welcome you to the Forum.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Badger

Postby Badger » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and the links! :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:20 pm

The dip stick full mark will give you a close indication of the oil level when full.

Most engines, the full oil level is below the crankshaft, pan gasket, and crankshaft seals.

Suggest cleaning up the block area adjacent to the pan and the pan, looking for the leak.

Wrong dip stick? Other thought, over filling the oil pan.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:13 am

You have quite a bit to unpack here. First off, I am not that familiar with the 2504. So I can't say anything specific about removing the pan or splitting at the bell housing. The 2000 loader is rated for 2,000 pounds. The 2504 is rated to handle a model 3000 loader, which is rated for 3,000 pounds. So I can't imagine you hurting either with your 2,000 pound bales. This assumes you aren't doing anything crazy like stabbing a bale then driving across a field at full speed in 4th or 5th gear. In any case, I can't imagine any flexing of the tractor could cause a crankshaft seal problem.

Are you saying that the oil leaks out even when the engine isn't running? If the oil is at the proper level, it should all be in the pan, below the crankshaft seals and the block bottom flange. The only way out is the drain plug or a hole in the pan. The level needs to be low enough that the connecting rods don't run in the oil. Hold your dipstick beside the tube so you can see where the full mark is. It should be well down into the pan. This diagram shows the crank seals and how high they are above the block flange.
C153-504c.png

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 am

I agree, if it leaks out while just setting, there has to be an issue with the pan, itself. It could very possibly have a rust pin hole. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time for that. I would clean that area, the best you can and observe what happens after that.

Badger

Postby Badger » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Thanks for the insights! Ya, i’ll hold the dipstick next to the tube to check depth.

And i’ll pull the pan when it warms up a bit more (central Alberta “spring” is a ways off.)

Here’s hoping it’s just a pinhole!

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:00 pm

You will find a lot more info searching for the International 504 , or IH 504 Utility . I'm not sure of the differences, but I think the 2504 may have had a heavier front, and possibly a foot throttle on some of them. The front end wish bone may be in the way of pulling the oil pan. I have one in the salvage yard, but the front end left several months ago. The block was pulled last week, and I snapped a couple of photos to show you what it looks like out of the tractor from the bottom, front and back. I will measure my dipstick so you have have a comparison as well.
Attachments
eb808329-28e7-40e9-aa22-5f68e6438815.jpg
efe7d1ff-2d74-4945-b9c3-357149903b02.jpg
031f9963-d15c-49ee-8534-13156d67dda1.jpg

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”