This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Getting stuck tire off of rim

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Getting stuck tire off of rim

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:58 pm

I'm trying to remove the tire from it's rim for my 340 Utility. Today I had the tire lying on the ground and a friend (Mike Sloane) with a front end loader was trying to break the bead by applying down pressure with the blade of the bucket. He put enough down pressure on it to lift the front wheels of the loader off of the ground, which flattened the tire but still didn't pull the bead down enough to break it down. Apparently the inner edge of the bead is frozen to the rim and we couldn't get the bucket blade in close enough toward the inside of the rim. We rotated the tire thru 360 degrees, but were unable to push the bead more than a half inch down off of the rim, so it just flexed back up when the down pressure was removed. . We tried brushing tire lube down into the bead but that didn't help.

I bought the tire and rim second hand from a guy who is parting out another 340 and apparently the tire, even though is has like new tread, has been on the rim, which is rusty, for a long time. My intention was to get this better tire off and put it on my 340's rim which is in much better condition.

I would appreciate any suggestions on separating the tire off the rim. Image
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:22 pm

Paul, I've been where you are! First off Ken Tool makes some really good tire tools that will allow you to get good down pressure under the wheel rim straight on the bead. Second the is a tire softening solvent that will help eat throught the rust available through a local tire supply. I use tire tech, they have trucks that run around like Mac and Snap-on and they carry tire specialty items. They would probably have the irons and the solvent. That is the cheepest way along with patience. Tire shops have portable hydraulic bead breakers so you could always just haul it down and have them break the bead for you. I've worked long and hard at rusty rims before and I know they can be no fun!! That when you learn the little tricks after hours of frustration from a rusty rim. :lol:

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:37 pm

Gemplers sells a bead breaking iron with a sliding hammer-weight That seems to work pretty well.

You bang on the weight to drive the chisel end between tire and rim......do that around the tire in many places, without giving into the heavy prying idea that immediately comes to mind, and the bead will break. As soon as you try prying too hard, the tire, and sometimes the rim, is a goner.

I think they sell a heavy duty, and a regular duty one...I have the cheaper one, and It's plenty heavy duty for occaisional Ag use.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:57 pm

Thanks guys - I'll try your suggestions

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:59 pm

400lbs.- I've got one of those sliding bead breakers and its never worked on the real stuck ones. Also my experience has been that in order to bend the bead you gotta be some kind of a hee man. I've taken sledge hammers to old rims and they resist any bending. Maybe a smaller rim or one on a little tractor but not the bigger stuff.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:02 pm

it would take a pretyt good sized one for the 340 tires, but I've seen posts before that large "C" clamps work good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Bill,

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, then, as the first time I tried using it, I made a few nasty bends in the rim edge on my A rims...

The thing is about 5 ft long. has a sliding hammer weight, and a bent-chisel looking end on the other end...about 2 inches wide....

as far as being a he-man...definitely not, but I have a lot of "weight" to put into something.... :shock:

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:15 pm

I think its one of those things where a pic is worth a thousand words. What I've found is the combination of 2 tools. I first drive in a flat spoon all the way to the rim so I know I'm where I can exert pressure down square on the bead. Next I tap in on top of the spoon a funny looking iron that will allow me push straight down on the bead instead of just squashing the bulk of the tire. Where I'm exerting the pressure its just not possible to damage the rim. If you are prying on the lip somehow then yes you could bend it. Here again a pic would explain all very easily.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 pm

I just park the front tire of my truck on mine and sometimes it takes awhile but it always breaks the bead. (3/4 ton 4X4)
Then came Bronson

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:28 am

Well, where there's a will (and two tractors) there's a way . . .

My friend Mike Sloane was determined to help me get that stuck tire off, and here's how he successfully did so this weekend.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:34 am

Sorry, I don't know why the first photo came out so small, here it is again!

The second link led to a different picture that did not exist, so I substituted your third link. GW

By the way, it looks like there is room to reach across with a backhoe bucket to use the teeth on the far side. :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:37 am

With the help os a friend almost anything can be accomplished.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:15 am

I thought I had the image posted correctly as I saw it in "preview Mode", but when I checked back to the site later there was only a red X where the photo had been. Can anyone explain this to me? Here it is one more time . . . .

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:10 am

I can't aford all that equipment to change a tire...(just kidding).. glad to hear you got it off.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 am

comparing the 2 there is a difference in the link statement, but I don't know what happened either, because I could see the larger picture just after you posted it, but can't now. i don't think you did anything incorrect.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”