This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

504 starting issue

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
keiken01
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64057

504 starting issue

Postby keiken01 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm

I bought a 1962 model 504 gas w/ alternator several weeks ago. It's only used for a pto manure spreader, so runs about 20 minutes a day, but any longer and it appears to start overheating. The previous owner was using a screwdriver across the solenoid to start it, so put a push button starter switch on it. The key 'RUN' switch was also replaced with an on/off toggle switch. The starter/solenoid would occasionally make a grinding sound when trying to start, but release the start button and try again and eventually it would crank and start.

Well then it wouldn't do anything. I tried the screwdriver on the solenoid and nothing, but it did spark. The solenoid look relatively new so I bought a new starter and installed it. I could hear the solenoid trying and after about half a dozen tries, it stopped making any noise. I loosened the starter and still nothing. I'm thinking I burnt out the solenoid on the new starter, but before I go buy another, I need to know why it's not turning over the engine. This tractor would always fire right up when the starter engaged.
:help:

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: 504 starting issue

Postby Scrivet » Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I know very little about a 504 but I'm betting the starting circuit is not much, if any different than most everything else. With your symptoms I would check all the cables. Are the ends bright and shiny? Are the bolts and pads where they attach bright and shiny? Are the cables themselves in good condition, i.e. insulation good, no replacement ends, no corrosion. Pay special attention to the ground from the battery and where it attaches to the tractor.
Try starting it for ten or so seconds and a dirty connection will build up some heat. Either aim one of those thirty dollar Harbor Freight laser thermometers at the cables, or go the tried and tested method of feeling along the cables and connections until you burn your fingers. That's where you need to pay particular attention, after you doctor your fingers.

keiken01
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby keiken01 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 am

Ok, so I was searching the web for this problem and learned that it is pretty common that the modern starters are not always an exact fit. Others have reported needing to use spacers/washers as the starter will press against the flywheel when installed without the spacer. I tested my solenoid and it is burnt up but I was able to remove the solenoid and manually engage the starter and use jumper cables directly to the starter motor and one washer on each bolt was the trick as now the starter and will spin the flywheel.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who has a similar problem and avoid burning out the solenoid. Fortunately the solenoid is only $20.

:-)

keiken01
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby keiken01 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

I found a local electrical repair shop that charged me $5 to fix the solenoid. :-)