This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mosherd1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06016

Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Postby Mosherd1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm

This is my first post, and already the information I have found has been quite helpful. I am trying to determine the practical difference between a Super C and Super A.

I am looking at two tractors and cannot decide on which to choose from. One is a Super C with a snow plow. It is listed for $1,950, good rubber, rear hydro lift bar. The plow is mounted to the center of the tractor. Converted to 12V.

The A is listed for $2,150 but after talking to the guy today i should be able to get it for $2,000. It comes with a snow plow mounted to the rear of the tractor, I hear it is stronger in case you hut a icy snow bank will have less of a chance to break. It comes with snow chains, a trailer to haul wood, and had its engine rebuilt about 5 years ago. Good tires as well. Converted to 12V.

I would like it for snow removal, plowing or wheel harrowing 8 acres, dragging brush and logs as I clear some land. This land has not been plowed in probably 15 years and is starting to get overgrown. I know the engines are the same for each, but am wondering if the A would be big enough for what I am trying to do without struggling. Then if the engines are the same would it matter? So I am a bit confused. I would also use it to haul water to pigs. I would end up painting both with new decals. So any advice or your thoughts would be great. Thanks for your help!
-Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Difference between a Super A and a Super C

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:37 am

For starters. The engines are not the same. The Super C has the C123 and the Super A has the C113. The Super C has a larger motor.

That being said, a read mounted blade? Interesting. I have a Super A for snow removal and its great. I have the 1A-60 blade.

The Super A can handle all of that. I do similar tasks with mine. I haul a trailer, I've yarded our boat around with it. I've dragged trees. I have also plowed and wheel harrowed with it.

Essentially they will both be able to do what you want given they have the right implements. If space isn't an issue I don't see why getting the Super C would be a problem. Its a taller and wider tractor, but has a slight edge over the Super C in power.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 am

Depending on what's been done to it the Super A might be about the same HP as the Super C. (It is a Super A right? If no hydraulics it's a plain A and in that case I would go for the Super C) You can't visually tell the difference between a 123 and a 113 unless you look at the serial numbers but many times Super As got 3 1/8" pistons when they were overhauled. The Super C even though taller and wider is very nimble for its size. Super A will be more compact.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I think the Super A with the 123 engine (later model Super As had them) will sit a bit taller and a bit taller radiator. As far as choice of tractors, I have both a couple Super Cs and a couple of As (not Super). I do not think that blade mounted in the center of the tractor will be a good snow blade. It is great for leveling an area but now a great snow plow. I have a belly blade on one of my As. The Super C should pull more, but as already mentioned, the Super A is more nimble and compact. Neither tractors are going to be super powerful tractors, and you will have to work within their limits (true of any tractor). Having said that, I think the Super C is more of a tractor for pushing snow (if blade is on front) and pulling things (bigger tires and more weight). Super A probably easier to steer but that front blade will change that. Super a probably a shade easier to haul. I like the drum brakes on Super C better. If you are a novice tractor user, I might give the edge to the Super A. Its limits are bit more obvious and you might not push it as much and get into trouble. Close call though.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Get on the Tractordata.com web site. You can then compare the specifications of the two tractors.

Just my opinion, I would select the larger, heavier tractor with more horse power on the drawbar and PTO.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 am

Super C sits way taller and you sit, not lounge... and is more versatile if the FH had 3 point adaptors. Definitely want the snow plow on the front but to find the plow rig for sale is not common. Not hard to make and adapt though. I like the disc brakes. I cut 6 foot weeds and saplings with my 5 ft brush hog and she rarely bogs down, but would prefer wide front if I had a choice for brush hogging

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm

I've never owned an A, but I've been using a Super C for quite awhile. I have close to 50 acres. When I started bush hogging this land, the bloodweeds were taller than the tractor. It cut through them like butter. It was funny watching a million rats scurrying for cover. I hooked up a drag disk and make one huge garden area that was around 5+ acres. The only time it bogged down was when I had gotten the land soft as powder and was in 3rd gear scooting along. As long as I kept it in second it had no trouble.

I never used a blade, so I can't say how it would do.

The tractor is very nimble and will turn on a dime when equipment is not hooked up to it.

I used to go visit my brother on the other end of the farm and it would scoot across the field. Of course it's not as fast as an M, but plenty quick.

It's currently not running and Boy I sure miss it.
:tractor: Its me, Ant-Knee :tractor:

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”