This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C Governor problem?

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

C Governor problem?

Postby treesitter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Greetings all. I acquired a 48 C a couple months ago and did several things to bring it up to speed but I think I have a governor related issue, but have never tore into one before. So I am hoping to get your collective thoughts. The engine is constantly reving, regardless of where the throttle is. Does it at high speed and low and everywhere in between. Under a load it doesn't do it nearly as much and there seems to be spot at very low idle that it seems to level out, but otherwise it is a constant reving up and down. I just watched a video on some governor issues on an A. Should I start with the two main springs and bearing? perhaps I just try to get a video with audio (of course) and post it here for others to hear?

Thoughts on were to start appreciated.

Thanks, Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C Governor problem?

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:51 pm

you are thinking in the right direction. Make a video and post it. Sounds like a carburetor adjustment and the governor bumper spring adjustment is in order first.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:21 pm

thanks. I will get a video posted hopefully tonight, maybe tomorrow.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Check carburetor where the rod actually goes into the throttle loop. They have been known to get spun on the brass shaft that it sits on causing a condition where no matter how much the governor attempts to control the idle, the throttle valve will stay too far open.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Almost everything you read here about the Cub governor applies to the C. The big differences are the governor spring is inside the housing and the bumper spring screws in from the bottom.

First, check the standard tune-up stuff, timing, carb adjustment, etc. Then check the adjustment of the governor to carburetor link:
- engine off
- control lever pushed forward
- throttle at carburetor fully open
- adjust link so pin can just slide in without the governor arm or throttle plate moving.

If you still have a problem, try turning the bumper spring adjustment (covered by the acorn nut) in a little.

If it doesn't respond to this, pull the bumper spring out, clean it up, reinstall turned in as far in as needed to stop the surging.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 pm

If you isolate the problem to the bumper spring, consider just replacing it. Old Ugly the Super A just refused to quit surging when I first got it. I kept adjusting the bumper spring but couldn't get it dialed in just right. Finally decided to try replacing the spring. When I got the new one, it was a good 1/3 longer than the old one. Installed it and adjusted it and have had no more problem.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:47 am

The governor is not too bad to remove, just 5 bolts as I recall, and a couple of cotter pins. It takes 6 different 1/2" wrenches to get those 5 bolts out if you leave the radiator on, but it's a lot more work to take the radiator off, so IMHO, leave it.

The weights, main shaft, and drive gear will stay stuck in the tractor, and the housing will come off practically empty.

Replace the tension spring and the thrust bearing while you're in there. They're not cheap parts but it saves you from having to pull the governor off a second time. Speaking from experience here.

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Greetings everyone and since I only did 'quick replies' to most of the responses, I wanted to say thanks to everyone in a full reply. I unfortunately have not had much time to fiddle with my problem but I did take a quick video last night so people can hear the problem, thinking it may or may not alter the recommendations. But it won't upload to the site- the extension "mp4" is not allowed. And I don't know if I can trim the video to be small enough to be under 500kb. But tonight is the night: kids on a sleepover and wife is out of town = tractor night for me:)

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:37 pm

you might find that the holes for the govonor spring have wallowed out. thats what I found on my 50C, I welded up the hole and drilled another one the right size to fit the spring. here are som pictures of what you will be looking at on yours.

IMGP0116.JPG
Attachments
IMGP0117 (2).JPG
Pete from Virginia Beach

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:05 pm

tree sitter you're gonna have to upload to youtube and post it here. The site only allows image files and .mp4 is video.

If you want you can email the video to me at starcraft-dude@hotmail.com and I can upload it to my account and post it here if you don't have a Youtube account.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks havoc1482. I don't have a Youtube account. I appreciate it. Email is forthcoming.

Thanks!

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:29 pm

After watching the video I would definitely try adjusting the bumper spring. If that doesn't work then it probably needs replacement.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:58 pm

I just now tried and I can't get it to turn either way, but it's hard to get enough torque in that position. I have to run out and plan to get back to it this evening. I hope I don't need to take the front end stuff off to adjust. Might have to customize a screwdriver for some horizontal leverage.

Thanks for posting the video!

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:01 pm

You can take the cover off without removing the radiator or front end. It can just be tricky to get at the inner bolts, but like I said, it can be done.

If you do get it off remember one critical thing:

DO NOT LET THE THRUST BEARING COME APART! You will never find the balls and have to order a new one. I made that mistake. If you must, put a catch box or something underneath it when you remove it.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 pm

There is nothing wrong that requires removing the governor. The fix is all the external stuff already mentioned.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”