This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall C no hydraulics

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35951

Farmall C no hydraulics

Postby herbiemin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi I have a Farmall C that when you move the levers nothing happens. There is nothing hooked to the rockshafts, but shouldn't they move up and down if the tractor is running? Ive never fooled with a C before so not sure what to check first. I bought it from a guy and he said it has sat for about 5 years, so maybe that has something to do with it? It is full of fluid....Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall C no hydraulics

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Yes the arms should move when you move the levers.

Try leaving the fill plug out and moving the levers slowly back and forth several times. The pump may have lost prime.

If that doesn't work, try pressurizing the reservoir. This may help to work the air bubble out of the pump.

The next easiest thing to do is pull the hydraulic pump and make sure the drive gear is installed correctly and turning the pump. Sometimes these can come loose and fall off, but usually you hear some sickening noises from the engine when this happens. May as well put new orings and seals in the pump while you have it apart.

After that there's got to be something wrong in the touch control unit itself. The Touch Control service manual is linked on this site under Rudi's Manuals above.

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

here is what I have found in the past. These are pictures of the cam gear that drives the hydrolic pump. you can see what can happen.
IMGP0098.JPG
bad one
IMGP0099.JPG
good one
Pete from Virginia Beach

herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby herbiemin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:51 am

Ok I may just get the orings and seals on the way in case I have to pull it apart. Any place that's better quality to get it from? Or just try to find it cheap somewhere? Thanks

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 am

Here's a link to Messick's website: http://www.messicks.com/cas/56559 You'll need to click on "hydraulic system" and then find the pump or block you want to rebuild. The sizes of the o-rings are listed and should be available at an auto parts store, hydraulic repair shop, or online from somewhere like McMaster-Carr.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Keep in mind that there are two different pumps used on the Super C: Thompson and Cessna. you have to figure out which one you have before you order parts.I don't know off the top of my head but I've seen it discussed in online forums many times.

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Matt I thought the other pump was Pesco. that is what it shows in my SC parts manual. not sure what year his C is. it also lists the Thompson in the manual and I think Steiner has a kit that covers both pumps. im not absolutly sure on the kit info.
Pete from Virginia Beach

herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby herbiemin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Well i took the flange that holds the two metal pipes to the pump, and they have no oil in them. What is the best way to prime the pump? The oil level is just below the filler plug. If I pull the pipe off the pump and turn the engine by hand, will it put suction if I put my finger over the hole? And the serial number is 73669 so I'm assuming its a 1951 model???

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am

Squirt some oil in the hole that connects to the larger pipe (intake) to lubricate the pump. It should then provide suction on that side and pressure on the hole that connects to the smaller pipe when you hand crank or spin with the starter.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby herbiemin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks ill try that. I dont have a hand crank yet, and my starter is toast so my starter shop ordered me a new one so ill have to wait till i get that put back on

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:28 am

since you already have the lines off it only takes 2 more bolts to remove the pump. 2 of the bolts on opposite corners mount the pump, and the other 2 hold the 2 halves together. When you take the first one out you can tell which it is by the length. Once it is off put some Hytran or equivalent in it and turn by hand. It should build noticeable pressure that way. You can also inspect the pump gear and use light to look through the hole and inspect cam gear while you are waiting for starter.

Have you taken the other end of the lines off also? I have never actually worked on a C hydraulic system, but on a cub which uses a similar system but with a single cylinder the oil will drain out by gravity.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby herbiemin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:06 pm

I havent taken the other end off. My pipe running from the reservoir to the pmp has an upward bend in it, both ends are lower than the middle. That is why i was wondering how to prime it, because if you pour oil in the other end end it will never get to the pump because of the shape of it. Ive been sick today so as soon as i get4 to feeling better ill start messing around with it a little. My starter is also in, I didnt think $202 plus tax was too bad...

herbiemin
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby herbiemin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Well i found my problem today. Pulled the pump and theres no gear on the shaft. Try turning the shaft with a pair of pliers, cant do it. So I took it apart, the shaft is rusted to the brass/bronze pieces. So Im in the process of finding a new pump i guess....

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”