This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Couple questions?

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jabs8706
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64084

Couple questions?

Postby Jabs8706 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:00 am

1: what's the advrage cost to do a restore on a super c with a stuck motor (wanting to replace all the inside parts)
2: is there anywhere I could find a list of the parts needed to rebuild the inter motor ( I know all the outer parts)

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Couple questions?

Postby randallc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 am

Service manuals are at the top of the page or check this out http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Super%20C%20Manuals&order=0. Should break down the parts.
Rebuild if you can do the work, minimum probably $400 to $800, or take it out $1200 to $2500. According to what has to be done.
You need to get it unstuck and torn down to actually determine what you have to do. You just might luck out like a lot of stories and not have to do a lot. So getter unstuck and see what you got.
And welcome to the forum from Arkansas.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum from south of the river. I've hunted the Crooked River CA before; nice country in Ray County.

Randall's given you some estimates on engine overhaul, but there are plenty of variables when it comes to restoring/refurbishing a tractor. Time, replacement parts, gaskets, and paint can all add up very quickly. If you cannot find the Service Manual thru this site, then you may need to do an internet search.

You might investigate the possibility of getting a replacement engine instead.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:43 am

Welcome.

There are a number of tractor parts suppliers on the internet. I have an old Valu-bilt parts catalog, sent out free to folks requesting it. The catalog has piston and sleeve kits listing a price and shipping weight.

Before you purchase parts, shop around. There is a significant price difference for the same parts from different suppliers. Don't overlook you local auto parts store when pricing parts.

You need to consider the cost of specialized mechanics tools and machine shop work in the overhaul cost quesstimate.

After thought. It is usually less expensive to purchase a running tractor in field ready working condition than to purchase a non-runner.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:52 am

You'll scare the heck out of a 1,000 dollar bill on just a major overhaul kit. Then any machine work will add more. And if you have to pay someone to do the overhaul for you, price tag just goes up. If the tractor does not have any sentimental value, then I'd look for one already running good. I would think these aren't scarce in MO.
Have you tried to free up the engine? You might get lucky, you never know
Thomas

Jabs8706
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64084

Postby Jabs8706 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 am

Thank you all for your help the tractor was given to me by my wife's grandparents who are 81 and 85 and I'd like to get it done before something happens to them (both in good health) just got the whole money thing going on with it being a little tight having a newborn I've made a gofundme page hopeful that will help

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Pull the spark plugs and shine a light down in. If you can't see water, or evidence of water having been in there (such as crusty flaky corrosion), there's hope, and an excellent chance, of getting it unstuck and running without a major overhaul.

It's up to you whether you want to pull the head, but you'll get it freed up quicker if you pull the head as you can attack the corrosion mechanically (i.e. hone) or with fire (i.e. filling the cylinder cavity with diesel and lighting it off, OUTSIDE of course).

Once you do get it running, don't condemn it at first glance. It will run bad and smoke regardless of the condition of the engine. After some run time, and a heavy dose of seafoam, the rings will loosen up and it will run better and better. Unless it was REALLY clapped out when the grandfolks-in-law parked it...

Believe me 99.9% of these will run.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”