This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Knowledge needed

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lou & Jess
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39479
Tractors Owned: 1948 C
1951 Super C
700-800 Case propane

Governor Knowledge needed

Postby Lou & Jess » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 am

Needing to know any tips on the installation of a governor on my C. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Governor Knowledge needed

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm

C governor is similar in design to a cub governor. Installation is pretty straightforward, though if you have a magneto rather than distributor timing is critical. There are timing marks on the gears that need to line up. If no magneto you can always pull the rive coupler out of the distributor and turn it to compensate for marks not being aligned properly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lou & Jess
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39479
Tractors Owned: 1948 C
1951 Super C
700-800 Case propane

Postby Lou & Jess » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Mr. John thats the things I need to know. I do not have a magneto and is the rive coupler the part that the dist. and gov. tie into? Am I posting in the right forum?
Take time and teach a child the way it should go, because the way a twig is bent so shall the tree grow.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Yes to both questions. If you cannot see the marks to align the governor, which you most likely cannot with the seal installed, you can set the engine to #1 (radiator end) top dead center, and turn the distributor so the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap, then pull item #9 in this diagram out and turn it so it aligns with the drive lot and reinstall. Of course you will need to either static time it or use a timing light after you finish, which you would need to do no matter how you reinstalled it. Note, if you decide to try to get the marks lined up, look at the governor gear, it will have either one or two dots on it. Which ever it has will have to match the drive gear, either 1 to 1 or 2 to 2. It also makes it easier if you use a white marker or piece of chalk to mark the length of the drive gear before sliding the governor gear into it.
Attachments
S C distributor.JPG
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

Postby Brly » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:16 am

I'll add a little more detail. I just did this on my Super A.
The governor gear had a double punch mark, but I couldn't find a double punch mark on the mating gear, only a single mark. When I took the governor off, the double punch mark was lined up with a single punch, so I just put it back on that way. Once the governor is back on, get cylinder #1 (front of tractor) to top dead center on compression. Just pull the spark plug, put your finger over the hole and turn the engine over with the hand crank. When you feel pressure on your finger, shine a flashlight in through the sparkplug hole and watch the piston come up to TDC and stop. Pull the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is. If it's not pointed to the spark plug lead for cylinder #1 (approximately 2 o'clock), follow John's instructions above on getting things aligned. The distributor rotor has to point to the #1 spark plug lead. It probably won't be perfect, but it will start and run. Put it all back together, then slightly loosen the two bolts holding the distributor in place. Start the tractor and gently turn the distributor back and forth until you find the sweet spot where the engine runs smoothly. Shut it down and tighten the bolts up.
It's not difficult once you understand it.
Hope this helped.
Ben

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”