This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help! I think I have problems.

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Help! I think I have problems.

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I finally got my Super C to where it's fairly easy to start and I've been plowing with it the last couple if days. After plowing for a couple of hours today, I decided to go into the house and get a drink of water. As I was getting off the tractor, I noticed antifreeze was pooling around where the oil filter is. Also it sounded like water gurgleing after the engine was cut off. It has been and still is running good. There is absolutely no smoke even under a hard load while plowing. I check all fluids reguraly. Any ideas? Oh, one more thing, I looked for a leaky radiator hose, but didn't see anything supicious. Thanks.
:tractor: Its me, Ant-Knee :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Help! I think I have problems.

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:36 pm

If I remember the engine on a C is the same as a cub only bigger. Been a few years since I used my neighbors. I would suspect a head gasket leak. As far as the gurgeling i would run at idle for a couple or three minutes after working the engine before shut off to let things cool off a bit.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Flush the block and radiator. Flush the block around and behind the sleeves/cylinders.

Full radiator, get the engine hot - might cover the radiator a bit to bring up the coolant temperature - then look for the leak. Also check for bubbles in the coolant in the radiator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:15 pm

The gurgling is normal for a thermo-siphon engine. My Super A does it all the time when it's hot and you shut it off. The coolant behind the oil filter is probably the head gasket weeping. Might try re-torquing the head bolts. I thing they are 65 ft-lbs, you'll have to pull the valve cover to get at them all. They may have increased that torque on later models.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:01 am

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I get it fixed.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”