This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A couple quick questions.

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

A couple quick questions.

Postby FarmallAddict » Fri May 07, 2021 2:50 pm

I'm going to be rebuilding the carb on my 1950 Farmall C and was wondering what metal they were made from. They aren't cast are they? Partially just because I'm curious and partially because the carb cleaner I will use recommended applying a light oil to cast iron carbs to prevent flash rusting.

The other question is do the C's have any kind of coolant filter/screen somewhere in the coolant passages? I doubt it otherwise I wouldn't think the thermo siphon system would work very well. I'll be cleaning the touch control filter screen and other than the oil filter and fuel bowl that's about it for filters on this machine I think...

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: A couple quick questions.

Postby SamsFarm » Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am

The carb on my C is cast iron! If a magnet grabs it, then it is cast iron!

If the magnet dont grab it, then it is probably pot metal or aluminum!

No coolant filter that I am aware of!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeB » Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Tractor could have came with a Marvel Schebler ( cast ) , Carter UT ( some were cast top and bottom, some have an aluminum top) , or a Zenith Carb, which also came in either Cast or Aluminum. Don't leave aluminum or pot metal parts in dip type carb cleaner overnight, it will destroy them.

There are no screens or filters in the coolant system.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Sat May 08, 2021 3:45 pm

Update. I disassembled most of the carburetor and dipped it for 25 minutes. That was plenty to clean the components... and take off the paint. I reassembled it with new gaskets and jets as needed. Someone had soldered the cross pin that holds the float on for whatever reason so I couldn't easily remove the needle. After cleaning and rinsing the needle valve held air when the float closed so it appeared to be working correctly. We also installed a new fan hub. I added about a gallon coolant to top off the radiator but didn't get the chance to try starting it today. The battery was junk and I forgot to bring the replacement. Tomorrow I'll change the engine and transmission oils and hope that's all it needs aside from greasing. Fingers crossed.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Sat May 08, 2021 3:52 pm

I forgot to add that the oil cup was an unholy mess. I've seen some dirty ones but this one has to be the worst I've ever seen. I soaked it in diesel fuel along with the mesh on the bottom of the air cleaner for 45 minutes to loosen up the crud in there. I added fresh oil when it was clean which must be the first time in 20 years.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”