This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trying to save a Super C

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trying to save a Super C

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Eric,

I have a suggestion for you. PM Art Chester (artc) and ask him to read through your thread, if he hasn't already, and give you some adivce. He has experience with the engine model you're dealing with and may have some good insights.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03753

Postby Eric85 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 am

Been away from the tractor for a few days. Ive thought about it everyday.
While the tractor is inside it is not in a good place to pull the motor.

I'm still thinking of getting crocus cloth to polish the crankshaft jounals and getting new bearings.
Then taking out each piston and polishing the cylinder walls and installing new rings.

I'm thinking it will cost about $400 with gaskets included. Pretty expensive.

Question on the pistons. Ive been sparying the clylinder walls with mystery oil and all but one drain out. This piston is
not stuck either. What does this tell me?

My ridge doesn't catch my finder nail but there is a spot or two that does seem to stick out more then the others. If
I can post a pic later I will.

When I pull out the pistons how can I tell if I really need new rings or not?

History of the tractor accorcding to Dad is that it always ran well and never had any issues. It was parked and forgottin about.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

I have told you what I thought. Now I will tell you what you want to hear. Clean it up put it back together. It will most likely not blow up.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Here are a few pics of the cylinder walls.

I’m concerned about the ridge. Is there a way to clean it up some, scotch brite or emery cloth or should I buy the tool for it?

Plan is to remove the pistons and polish up the cylinders.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 am

A ball hone will clean them up fine.
A lot of people forget, these engines are not rocket science. They will run good with a few pits.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

Some auto parts stores loan tools. Perhaps a neighbor has a ridge reamer. If the ridge is not significant you may be able to clean it up with a hone or the ball hone.

Pistons in photos 1 & 2 and perhaps #3 should pop out with out a cylinder wall clean up. Piston in photo #4 doesn't appear to have moved significantly in a very long time. If the piston moves it will eventually come out after a cylinder wall clean up.

Sludge and sludge build up on push rod and push rod opening. Considerable scale build up on coolant openings. Check for coolant sludge and scale build up around and behind cylinders # 3 and #4. Once pistons removed check for scoring on back two cylinders and piston skirts.

Eric85 I'm thinking it will cost about $400 with gaskets included. Pretty expensive.
I would estimate or plan on spending 3 or 4 times that amount on the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 am

I rented a ridge reamer from autozone.

Used it last night, I went really slow and took my time. It seemed to work ok,, I didn't go crazy with it and try to get every piece of carbon
off. I just did it to the point were I didn't feel the ridge with my finger nail anymore.

I might try and remove a piston tonight.

From what I have read a ball hone would be better to use then a stone type hone tool. Problem I have is I can't seem
to find the correct size ball hone.
My cylinders are measureing about 3.186 inches. Does anyone know where I can find the size ball hone I need?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 am

Flex-hone, search the internet for. They usually come in 1/4" increments - or capable of handling different cylinder diameters within the 1/4" range. Purchase location, auto parts store.

Depending on how much engine/mechanic type work you are planning on doing - a cylinder hone with replaceable stones may be a better purchase. Handle a wider range of cylinder diameters.

Cover the bolt threads on the bolts holding the connecting rod cap in place with a piece of plastic tubing or something to keep from scratching the journal when pushing out or installing the piston.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-4-Nikasil-C ... 77&vxp=mtr
This one will work fine and is a good hone, you can get different grits if you like
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Boss Hog wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-4-Nikasil-Cylinder-Engine-FlexHone-Flex-Hone-320-/370753891191?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5652a76b77&vxp=mtr
This one will work fine and is a good hone, you can get different grits if you like

Keep a gallon can of kerosene to dip and rinse it in while you are using it.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the help so far.

I have to decide to buy the flex-hone or get new stones for my old cylinder hone.

I decided to try and get to the rear crankshaft bearing today and haven't had any luck.
Does the plate at the bottom of the crankshaft oil seal come off? It seems like it would.

If it does will I need to put gasket maker on it when I reinstall it?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:26 am

Eric85 wrote:I have to decide to buy the flex-hone or get new stones for my old cylinder hone.
Don't purchase any tools just yet. Have an experienced tractor mechanic inspect the entire tractor - get his opinion.

My opinion, again. The more photos posted of the engine - the worse things appear. Rust cam shaft journal. Mouse nest(?) in pressure plate. Rust and more rust.

Does the plate at the bottom of the crankshaft oil seal come off? If it does will I need to put gasket maker on it when I reinstall it?
Yes and yes. There is also a gasket on the back side of the plate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric85 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 am

I agree with you Eugene, Having someone come take a close look at what I have would be very helpful
But I don’t have anyone close that I know of. And most likely they will tell me to pull the engine out just like everyone else.

The point of me taking on this project was to learn as much as I can about engines and how to work on them. So far I have enjoyed the tractor and learned a bunch of good info. I want to keep moving forward with it.

Now I have a few general questions.

This engine has sleeves and can be replaced. But what if the sleeves have worn? Is it possible to use oversize rings on the pistons?

I did take the plate off to get to the rear main bearing and it is different then the other two. Wondering why it is different.
The bearings on the crankshaft are replaceable but it seems like it might be a little difficult to get the old ones out. Is there any special tool or technique used?

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 am

The rear bearing is the thrust bearing. You need to get some local help, the bearings are no trouble to get out, but as I said you need to get a mechanic to look at it. You can cost yourself $$$$$ if you do not know what you are doing.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”