This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Purchasing a Farmall 140

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MattB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37110

Purchasing a Farmall 140

Postby MattB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 am

Hello, I am about to purchase a Farmall 140 from my uncle. I'm mainly purchasing this because it was my grandfather's and I, as well as my uncle, would like to see it stay in the family. I also would like to use it to work up my garden area as well as bush hog a field I own. He told me it didn't have the 3-pt hitch any longer and it doesn't have any other attachments. What do I need to look for to make this tractor usable for my purposes? I'm guessing I need a 3-pt hitch first, but is there any certain kind I need to look for? Or are they all pretty much universal?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Purchasing a Farmall 140

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 am

Actually you don't need the 3-point. Look for trailer type implements. Typically, trailer type implements are less expensive than 3 point attachments and easier to find.
I have an excuse. CRS.

MattB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37110

Postby MattB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Oh really? Ok, that's good to hear. Are they still able to use the tractor's hydraulics on the rear?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Manuals top of page. Most are Cub related, but other tractors had similar implements. There are converted horse drawn implements that work from the tractor's drawbar.

Most of the draw bar towed implements are manually adjusted and operated. Couple of examples.

Disk Harrow, to set in disking position, pull the rope which trips the catch, then back up the tractor. Travel position, pull rope to trip the catch, drive tractor forward.

Plow, pull rope to drop the plow bottom(s) into the soil. Pull rope again to lift the bottom(s) out of the soil. $100-, included deliver charge, 2 each, 2-14" bottoms, JD trailer type plows. Way to big for my Cubs but my WD Allis can easily handle the plows.

Consider the tractors capability and not purchase implements larger than the tractor can handle. Implements smaller than the tractor's capability is good. Some implements, you can drop off a portion of the implement, eg., one gang of a disk harrow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70514

Postby Paul Bertrand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

MattB,
I purchased a Farmall 140 in June. Read the entire thread right below yours (double moulddboard plow) and you will get a lot of answers and different opinions. Hope it will help you make a decision.
Paul

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 pm

This is my take on the 3pt. Some folks are old school dogs and believe the 3pt is pointless, and that is perfectly acceptable. The original way is fine. The 3pt conversion is still useful. I have seen a 140 pull a double moldboard with no problems. The 140 can handle Cat 0 and many Cat 1 implements. It comes down the the availability and price of 3pt items vs original items in your area.

Follow Eugenes advice still even if you want a 3pt because you can still use tow behind implements.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70514

Postby Paul Bertrand » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 am

I agree with Mike, the type and availibility of implements in your area should determine the type hitch you use. I had a Cub 30 years ago that had a rigid drawbar type hitch, but all my implements were the type that clamped on a drawbar. Today, I rarely see these type implements. The 140 I bought 2 months ago came with a 3 pt. hitch, but it did not work properly. Jim Becker wrote that many companies manufactured 3 pt. hitches. Some worked well and some didn't. He is absolutely right. I had to modify mine, but now no longer have any problems. Some had suggested I get rid of the 3 pt. hitch and go back to a traditional type hitch. I am 61 years old, and have never seen a one point fast hitch implement in my area in my entire life. Again, availibility and types of implements in your area should be the key to what type hitch you use. I am having to buy new implements because of the scarcity of the older type implements in my area. Eveything I see new has a 3pt. hitch, so I had to make the 3pt. work. I suggest you find someone in your area that purchased a aftermarket 3 pt. hitch and ask them how well it works, if that's the type hitch you decide on.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 am

MattB wrote:What do I need to look for to make this tractor usable for my purposes? I'm guessing I need a 3-pt hitch first.
3-point conversion kits are available, $500- price range.

I own 2 tractors with 3-point hitches. Yes, the 3-point is quite handy.

Just addressing Matt's question on what it takes to utilize his 140.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:24 pm

3 points are handy but to me not on the 140 since they weren't designed for them. You can spend about the same price (maybe a tad more) on the 1 point hitch that was available from the factory and it works MUCH better (and easier). If you don't mind looking and possibly spending time and gas to get them, the original 1 point implements are somewhat "easier" to find that described. They're not gonna be new or at your back door so to speak, but they are still out there.

Sounds like you'll want a Turning Plow, Disk Harrow, Bush Hog, and a Full Set of Cultivators (and possibly a side dresser & planter) for your needs. The first 3 implements are available with a 1 point fast hitch (some aftermarket new still available). The IH 140 tractor was offered with a single 16 inch moldboard turning plow, or a double moldboard turning plow from the factory. So.....we know the 140 was designed to handle a double turning plow. I've also seen mostly 4 foot bushhog cutters come with them, but I have seen them handle a 5 foot cutter. Same with the disk harrows.

It's up to you, but I Hope this helps!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”