This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

double molboard plow

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: double molboard plow

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 pm

There is no draft control on the 140. Your thinking of the depth control arm that runs from the right TC rockshaft into the reverse mounted drawbar. (btw, that piece is a pain in the @#$ to find) I don't see why a 3pt wouldn't be any worse or better than the drawbar it terms of pulling.

Also, getting the bottom links closer to the ground, why not extend the length of the rods connecting the original rockshafts to the bottom links? Then adjust the top link turnbuckle accordingly?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:35 pm

havoc1482 wrote:There is no draft control on the 140. Your thinking of the depth control arm that runs from the right TC rockshaft into the reverse mounted drawbar. (btw, that piece is a pain in the @#$ to find) I don't see why a 3pt wouldn't be any worse or better than the drawbar it terms of pulling.

Also, getting the bottom links closer to the ground, why not extend the length of the rods connecting the original rockshafts to the bottom links? Then adjust the top link turnbuckle accordingly?

The depth control basically takes the place of draft control. The plow needs to be able to float, and then regulate the depth with drawbar height. With the three point the plow is going to be either just scratching the ground, or trying to dig to China. Those links are not that hard to find, and easy to make.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Its still a manual adjust, if it starts grabbing hard then you pull it out a little, softens up, put it deeper. Thats what draft control does for you. The plow can still float because the lowerlinks can bounce up.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70514

Postby Paul Bertrand » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi Al
Thanks for your input and concern, It's greatly appreciated! I would get the Super A drawbar, but can't find a moldboard that connects to a draw bar. When you say a fast hitch, I'm assuming you mean the IH one point fast hitch, there either I can't find an implement with that type hitch. All the 140's left around here have been coverted to 3pt that I've seen. I guess because the original implements wore out. I was shopping today and found a 14" single moldboard that weighed 273 lbs, and hp was from 22 to 40 hp reccomended. Also saw a 4' disk/harrow that would be the right size for the 140. Most of those I've seen couldn't plow mud, much less soil at optimum humidity. At least not to turn over ground. I will get the dealer to show what it can do before I buy. I have figured out a way to modify the 3pt hich to get the depth I need. I also noticed in the photo of the Super A that the double moldboard plow is alo a 3pt hitch. Seems like that's all you can find these days.
Please feel free to respond andgive more of your input and suggetions.
All of you are greatly appreciated, Paul

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm

havoc1482 wrote:Its still a manual adjust, if it starts grabbing hard then you pull it out a little, softens up, put it deeper. Thats what draft control does for you. The plow can still float because the lowerlinks can bounce up.

You would think it would float, but in my experience it doesn't. Take a tractor with factory three point, shut the draft control off, and try to plow level. It's either scratching the ground or digging to China. I've had the same experience with a Super A and fast hitch plow, even if you loosen the set collar on the lift rod for float, if you don't set the front depth right the only direction the plow knows is down! If you hold it at the right depth with the rear lift the plow will come out of the ground if you hit a bump and go too deep if you hit a low spot. That's why you always plow with a Super A/Cub with the lift chain slack so it can float and use the front lift or depth lever to regulate depth.

Paul, if you're willing to travel, those implements are out there. Not saying you can't make something work but the genuine stuff will work better. The only other option I could think of is maybe rig up a gauge wheel on the plow to help maintain the right depth. It won't be such a big deal with disk harrows and other tools.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:15 pm

A single 14" is well within the 140's capacity to pull, provided you can get the 3pt linkage and geometry figured out.

How well it will work depends on how consistent your soil is. If you have fairly consistent soil you can generally set the angle of the plow using the top link and it will settle at a certain depth similar to how a drawbar or fast hitch plow works.

There are a couple of good professionally made videos on youtube of setting up and using a 3pt hitch plow. Very educational.

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Al,
I would go to the Super A draw bar hitch, but can't find any implements that bolt to a draw bar. Not new ones anyway, all 3 pt. Seems like nearly all the 140s around here been converted, maybe cause the original implements wore out. I've figured a way to lower the 3pt to where i can get 8 or 9 inches of depth and tools still clear the ground adequately when in the up position. I'll try that and go from there. I went shopping yesterday and found a 14" single mold board suggesting 22 to 40 hp, the 140 has 28hp. Also a 4' disk harrow, but most of them I've seen couldn't turn mud, much less turn ground. I'll ask the dealer to demonstrate before I buy.
Thanks for your advise and concern, please feel free to give more advice, opinions, or comments.

Paul
P.S. When you mentioned the fast hitch, I'm assuming you meant the IH fast hitch. Can't find that type attachment either.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm

You're definitely not going to find NEW implements for drawbar or fast hitch... Those you have to source through used channels.

Problem with used is you can't necessarily get exactly what you want when you want it. If time is of the essence you have to either be willing to drive any distance and pay any price, or go new. Otherwise if you wait long enough and keep your eyes open you will find what you're looking for sooner or later.

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 pm

I did watch the videos about how to use and adjust a mould board plow. And to my surprise, eveyone of them were hooked up 3pt. After looking closer, I can extend the rods to lower the draft. Thank all of you for all the help.
Paul

Paul Bertrand
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Paul Bertrand » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi folks, my problems are over( for kmow anyway). I added link plates between the rockshaft lift rods and the bottom lift arms. It made all the differane in the world! When the rockshaft lift rods were connected to the lower lift arms, the degrees of rotation of the rockshaft were limited. Often with binding in both the upper and lower positions. The link plates are adjustable between 8 1/4" to 9 1/4". Now the rockshaft has a much greater degree of rotation, greatly increasing the upper lift hieght and lower lift depth. I attached the single 14" single mouldboard plow, and in less than 30 miutes of adjusting was plowing up a storm. It performed beautifully, just like in the videos from this site and youtube. I took videos of me plowing, but am unable to post them. Maybe one of you can tell me how. If Mike (havoc) reads this and he doesn't mind, I can send still photos of the hookup.
Then he can post them as he has done in the past.
Just wanted to add, while waiting at the implement dealer for them to load my plow. A guy from the next door scrap yard walked over and asked if I was about to buy a mouldboard plow. He said he had picked up scrap from a local farmer 2 days before that had a 2 bottom and a 3bottom plow for sale. Iknew they were to much for the 140, but out of curiosity, asked what type hitch they were. He said both were 3pt.
As always, I thank all of you for for all your input, help, and concern for my problems.It is so greatly appreciated.Of all the tractor sites I've been on, this is surely my favorite!! I guess I can close this thread, but not sure if I know how or need too. You all let me know if I do.
Oh, the links plates also give more float than just the float adjustments on the rockshaft lift rods.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”