This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weld Broke on Steering Worm Shaft

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Weld Broke on Steering Worm Shaft

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Had welded the steering worm shaft on a Farmall 140 a few months ago to correct a half-round of slack. At the same time, put in new bushings, seals, and bearings. Well about 2 weeks ago I had gotten it out to let it run and drove it around the yard and upon putting it up, one of the bolts sticking out from the front wheel weight on the right side caught the steel post in the building (was driving in at idle with foot on clutch). Upon hitting it, I stopped and tried to turn the wheel to the left to miss it, but apparently it was still up against the post. I couldn't see from my point of view. I barely turned the wheel and before I knew it.....POP, then I had a half-round of slack back in the steering. Took it apart today, and saw where the weld had broken all the way around the shaft. Haha, I'm blaming it on the shed not being big enough instead of too many tractors.

I wonder why it broke so easily? Is it because we ground down the weld? Just thought I would share. Back to the grinder and welder.
Attachments
photo 3 (6).JPG
photo 3 (6).JPG (105.04 KiB) Viewed 386 times
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG (95.66 KiB) Viewed 386 times
photo 2 (4).JPG
photo 2 (4).JPG (126.01 KiB) Viewed 386 times
photo 2 (3).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPG (104.48 KiB) Viewed 386 times
photo 1 (4).JPG
photo 1 (4).JPG (127.26 KiB) Viewed 386 times
photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG (106.67 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Weld Broke on Steering Worm Shaft

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:04 pm

We ground it back down and dished it out some to allow for more weld. Then ground it flat so it would fit flush in the housing. Had it back together and fixed in about 2 hrs after I posted the pictures. It's tight again!

I believe we had just ground too much if the weld away to begin with and that is why it failed. I asked my uncle if he dished it out before and he didn't but thought about it. We will do that from now on. He also turned the welder up and welded it hotter this time.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:29 am

From the looks of the break, there wasn't much weld holding things together. Probably didn't get much/any real penetration due to the hardness and mass of metal, and then grinding down the fillet weld you did have didn't help things.

What'd you use to weld it?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:48 am

I am only a hobby welder, but my thoughts are the same as Matt's. did not appear to be much penetration, only surface weld. It needed to be V'd out some and a higher temperature rod, such as 7018 used. Note, 7018 rods are easier to start if warmed up before using.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 pm

yeah, my great uncle has been a welder (by trade) for around 40 years and he used (I believe) a 7018. He v-ed it out this time and welded it hotter than before so he could get better penetration......just as you guys said. We think it will hold now and will do them all that way from now on. By the time we had things ground down the last time, there just wasn't much there to hold. Thanks for the input....it's good for everyone else to see that might tackle the job.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”