This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 100 water pump

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scioux
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71104

Farmall 100 water pump

Postby Scioux » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm

The water pump froze up on our Farmall 100, although the fan belt was still spinning. After it cooled off I started it up again and the pump pulley was able to spin-- for about 3 minutes. Then it froze up again.
I am no mechanic. Two questions: Should I go ahead and just order a new one, and Is this something an amateur can do? I have replaced the starter, the generator, and the fan-pulley assembly, and I am willing to give this a try if it's not too complicated. And if it's not likely that I might mess something else up worse!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 100 water pump

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Go for it, not that difficult. Order a new one, it's probably going to be a rebuild.

Suggest inspecting the radiator hoses and clamps. Probably want to replace them and thermostat if installed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:35 pm

The hardest part (trickiest) is removing the radiator without messing up the bottom studs (if it has studs). Some have the removable carraige bolts and some have studs welded in from the inside. You definitely wouldn't want to break one of those studs loose when trying to remove the radiator. Also, reinstalling the radiator and fan shroud can be tricky but it isn't hard. The reason I say that is becuase you're trying to get it to fit on the lower hose, all while trying to get the bolts in the casting and not letting the rubber pads fall out of the way. For an amatuer, it is probably an all day job, a weekend job if you get in there and decide to purchase and replace all hoses, then power wash everything since it is probably going to be dirty once you get it all taken off. Just be cautious of what I mentioned above. Also, use new gaskets and use copper gasket sealer on them. If you've done the other stuff, then you can do this!!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I put an after market water pump on my Farmall 200 last summer. It uses the same C123 engine and pump. It was not easy because the aftermarket pump did not have the enough clearance where it is cut away on the cast inlet for fan belt clearance. It also had a narrower pulley than the original pump. I had to grind down the cut away area and use a smaller fan belt. When I was done, it had minimal clearance. My plan is to rebuild the original pump and put it back on the tractor. It may also be possible to find a rebuilt pump that was rebuilt using an original pump core.

My radiator had two carriage bolts holding it in place. I replaced these while I was doing the work. If I remember correctly the bolts I used were sold as bumper bolts.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Not sure if the 140 pump is the same as the 100, but it might be. I rebuilt my 140 pump with the genuine kit from CIH. Be sure to get all the specifications from the repair manual as some of the dimensions are quite specific for pressing the parts together. Mine turned out well.
Luck favors those who are prepared

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am

The water pumps on the Farmall 100 were located at the bottom of the engine at the lower radiator hose. The water pumps on the Farmall 140 are located at the top of the engine and the fan actually attaches to the pump itself.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that rebuild kit would you? Which style water pump does it fit? If not, that's ok becuase I'm sure Ken at C&G or Boss Hog would be able to help. It'd be nice to have it posted on the forum.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 pm

The 140 pump is as you described. I bought the parts from Messick's and it was a couple of years until I did the work on the tractor. Rebuilt the governor, replaced the radiator, new bearings in the steering box. Putting everything back together is quite chore-- especially by oneself.
I was not certain that a new aftermarket pump would use the same parts as the original-- in case a rebuild was ever needed. The old one was in great shape except for the seals-- but I knew that only after removing and disassembling it. I doubt that it will need rebuilding again in my lifetime since it probably lasted 50 years the first time.
I see that new aftermarket pumps are available for both the 100 and the 140 with the 100 pump being higher priced.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 am

Located the parts catalog. The parts for the 100 and 140 water pumps are different, none interchangeable as far as I can tell.

Looking at the parts catalog, I suspect that I did not order a repair "kit" as none is featured in the catalog. It was a matter of getting the required individual parts. It was feared that the impeller might break or be too deteriorated for reuse. It was not ordered and was not needed. Happy wallet!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”