This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 Front End Steering Box

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TractorDog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16117

Farmall 140 Front End Steering Box

Postby TractorDog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I have restored a few Ford tractors and this is my first IH/Farmall. I got my hands on an Farmall 140 and I am tearing down the steering as it has a 360 degree of play which is insane. The worm shaft looks fine and I sure didn't notice anything too terrible with the bearings. I removed the front axle and am ready to remove the steering arm. The nut on the bottom sure looks like there is a cotter key going through it somewhere. At least the nut is slotted for it. I do not see a cotter key. Does this have a cotter key in it? Secondly, this looks like a nightmare to remove as there is little area to get a wrench on it. Is it me or is this nut easier than it looks? When I remove this nut will there be enough clearance to take the steering arm off the shaft? All I want to do is get the housing removed from the base so I can inspect it.

If you have experience 360 degree play in your steering, what was the problem you found? I am praying it is not the sector which I would guess is costly. I see the rebuild kits are relatively cheap.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ih140.jpg
This is the steering arm nut I am talking about.
ih140.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 2335 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 140 Front End Steering Box

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:04 pm

It's been a while since I had one apart but I don't recall anything too bad about it. Once you get the nut off the arm there are 6-8 cap screws that hold the base of the steering gear housing on and that's it. I expect a lot of your play is coming from the arm and/or the sector gear slipping on the shaft.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:12 pm

I have a 140 that I am parting out and it has good tight steering, welcome to the forum
Tim

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Just rebuilt a 140 front end last month. Yes there should be a cottter key there. The nut can be taken off easy without much trouble.
Mine had a lot of play, which was caused by bad bearings, both of them. replaced them , tightened things up, new seals and now turn the steering wheel and you get action. Just take you time .

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Buy the kit, I posted the link on another 140 thread. If the gear is moving on the shaft the keyway is likely worn. Just weld it up, there are thousands of SAs - 140 out there with welded gears in the steering. There is a good chance if you buy a used one it will be welded. By the time you buy a used one and then replace the seals you will have spent more than you would if you repaired what you have, just my opinion.
Boss Hog
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

TractorDog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16117

Postby TractorDog » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:13 am

Thank all of you so much. This is going to be an awesome forum here. I read some of your other posts and they are packed full of information.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”