This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Axle Pivot Pin Washers & Tie Rod Boots

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Axle Pivot Pin Washers & Tie Rod Boots

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am

Does the 140 have the front and back thrust washers that go between the lower steering gear housing and the axle when inserting the pivot pin? I looked on the CASE/IH parts site and didn't see any; However my 140 has a noticeable gap and the axle makes a knocking noise when moving back and forth due to the gap where it looks like they should be there.

Also, where can I find some replacement tie rod rubber boots other than the ones on eBay? Can they be found at a generic hardware store or the like? I'd rather not pay over $20 for (4) small peices of rubber. haha.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Re: Axle Pivot Pin Washers & Tie Rod Boots

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am

I don't know about the thrust washers, but if memory serves me correctly, Steiner has several tie rod boots to choose from.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:I don't know about the thrust washers, but if memory serves me correctly, Steiner has several tie rod boots to choose from.

Thanks Gary, I just looked at their site and they do have several boots.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Now I just need to figure out if the axle pivot pin is supposed to have those spacer washers on the front and back, because if so I'll need some since mine are missing.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:25 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Now I just need to figure out if the axle pivot pin is supposed to have those spacer washers on the front and back, because if so I'll need some since mine are missing.

They don't but you'll want some. Add bushings/washers at the back end of the pin as the wear seems to be there, since the tractor spends most of its life going forward the axle pivot is pressing more against the back end of the steering gear housing. (I don't know if this makes good sense or not, but if you look at the steering gear housing where the pin goes through, you should be able to find the wear.) I know on grandaddy's Super A, it needed it bad, and Old Ugly does too--you can actually hear a little thump when you go from forward to reverse from the axle sliding on the pin.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm

You're exactly right AL. What would I need to use for the spacers and what is the size? Also where could I get them? I would think that a standard steel washer found at the hardware store or my shop would work but might not have a big enough ID. What are y'all's suggestions for the spacers/shims.??
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am

Can't remember the size, but a good hardware store should have a selection of machinery bushings. Take the pivot rod with you and find something that will fit it. Depending on how much wear, a flat washer might work. IIRC the bushings I got fit the worn area on the steering gear housing perfectly and you couldn't even see them when installed.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am

AL,
I was sure there was a washer on my 130 pivot when I took it apart.
When I reassembled, I forgot to put it back in and noticed the play in the pivot.
So I took the pin back out, and do you think I could find that washer? No I looked everywhere, but it had disappeared.
I found another washer in junk pile and installed that. I may have to take it back out again though, as I installed it toward the rear but now the axle is in direct pressure with the U-bracket, so I thinking the washer should be installed to the front of the pivot.
Just Do It !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 pm

EZ wrote:AL,
I was sure there was a washer on my 130 pivot when I took it apart.
When I reassembled, I forgot to put it back in and noticed the play in the pivot.
So I took the pin back out, and do you think I could find that washer? No I looked everywhere, but it had disappeared.
I found another washer in junk pile and installed that. I may have to take it back out again though, as I installed it toward the rear but now the axle is in direct pressure with the U-bracket, so I thinking the washer should be installed to the front of the pivot.

Somebody most likely added it later. The parts book, at least on the Super A, doesn't call for one.

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”