This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Layed down some coats.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Layed down some coats.

Postby EZ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

With fall time already upon us and cooler temperatures I thought better get in gear and start putting paint on.
Made a makeshift booth in my shop and started shooting.

I find the IH 2150 Red to be rather shiny.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Layed down some coats.

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 am

Pretty! The 2150 looks beautiful. What brand of primer and so forth? What kind of equipment did you use? How about safety equipment (breathing protection and so forth)? Did you put hardener in your 2150?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm

SuperA,

Primers:
Dupli-color Self etch primer.
Nason Ful-Poxy 491-10 Primer Sealer
483-01 Activator.

Paint:
Nason Ful-Thane 2.8 Low VOC 2.8 Urethane #967661SD (NAPA) Navistar/Int'l Hrvst 2150.
441-66 Reducer.
483-56 Low VOC Catalyst (Hardener)

Guns:
DevilBiss Starting-Line 2 Gun HVLP Kit.

Compressor:
150PSI, 6HP, 30Gal Vertical.

Respirator:
3M Full Face with exchangeable filter units.
Sealed Eye Goggles.

Industrial Exhaust Fan and Wet Floor to keep dust and over-spray down.

I may have been putting too much primer out as I did get a couple runs off the bottom of the oil pan and some of the hanging parts, but I made the right adjustments for the paint and it came out so smooth.
I applied 2 nice coats of red. Can't wait to spray the fenders and the rest of the sheet metal.
I find that if you are not experienced in spraying like I am, you make the job to be harder (in your mind) than it really is.

Let me know what you think.
Just Do It !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 pm

EZ wrote: 483-56 Low VOC Catalyst (Hardener)
. . .
3M Full Face with exchangeable filter units.
. . .
Let me know what you think.

OK, I'll let you know what I think and be very blunt.

I cannot believe that, with as much as this has been discussed on this site and all the warnings everywhere else, that ANYONE would take the risk of using hardener with only a filter mask for protection. You even went for the full trifecta of doing it in an enclosure rather than outside in a breeze. You can't have possibly not seen the warnings. This behavior is why so many products have been banned from consumer sale.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39149
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68037

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Ed:

I used to spray professionally in my cabinet shop. Used many multi-part finishes and I used what I considered sufficient filtering, course also what was affordable for a small 3 man shop. I had an extraction system that could change the air in the whole shop in less than 2 minutes. Kinda powerful. I thought that I would be ok. I was wrong. I now have COPD and Pulmonary Fibrosis. I have a very hard time breathing when exerting myself or even walking.

You have to take care of yourself -- especially for the younguns. I would suggest that you look at and externally supplied breathing apparatus. They are much more affordable now and they certainly will cost less than a Concentrator, hoses, canula's and Spiriva. Ask me, I know.

User Friendly Supplied-Air Respirators: Options for Automotive Refinishers

Sherwin-Williams has a nice setup for about $150.00. I will no longer finish even with nitro-celluloids without and externally supplied air system. I also use tyvek suits when finishing now. Just can't risk it anymore.

Consider going with one of the options for safe spraying. I don't want another friend to go through what l have ahead of me. It is really debilitating.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Good info Rudi. Thanks!

What I would really like to do is take some continuing/adult ed. body work/finishing classes at one of the local community colleges. Trouble is, they all meet in the daytime, and none in the summer. :(

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 pm

very nice, i've used that paint on both of my cubs. good choice, it will last a long time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Ed:

I forgot something. The paint job is really nice. You chose the right finishes that is for sure. And that 130 is really going to be super sweat. I wish I had your energy, I really do. And for someone who says he isn't experienced -- you do great work .. it is really top notch. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”