This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 wiring harness

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hoover913
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall 140 wiring harness

Postby Hoover913 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 am

I have a 6 volt 1958 Farmall 140 that needs a new wiring harness (the original one has been painted over, the insulation is cracking and most of the asphalt loom is missing).

While I could buy the harness for around $160 or so, I thought it might make a good winter project to make my own. I have a wiring manual so I can color code the wiring according to the manual but I'm looking for advice on wire gauges, ashphalt loom size, tips, hints, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Damon

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Re: Farmall 140 wiring harness

Postby b52c130 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:05 am

Hoover, A good cheap source of lots of different size and color wires is the good old car junkyard. Just rip out a couple of long harness assemblies and for $10 you should have all the wire that you need. Old car restoration catalogs should have the 'tar' loom covering that you are looking for. Don't trust the 'crimp' connectors - you can use then without the vinyl end covering, just make sure that you solder each connection and then wrap the connection with black tape while the joint is still hot from soldering.

Starting with the longest wire, staple it to a long length of plywood. Then start cutting off the old tar loom covering. Staple the next wire end that you come to onto the plywood. Keep doing this until the harness is unwrapped. Get a second piece of plywood and lay it next to the first and start 'building' your new harness with the longest wire first. Do not solder on any wire ends until all the wires are laid out and the new tar loom is slid over the new wires.

Hope that this helps, NJDale

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”