This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

130 Engine Overhaul...

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49127
Tractors Owned: Farmall 130

130 Engine Overhaul...

Postby BohemianJon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:52 pm

My 130 starts fine, but smokes at times and sometimes misses...seems like its hitting on only 3 once and a while when under power. I'm thinking its time for an overhaul. Any comments? I've never overhauled an engine but am pretty handy and have the time this coming winter but am not sure just what I'd be getting into...should I get a how-to-book and give it a shot...if so, what would be a good book? I've got lots of tools. Or should I forget it and have a pro-guy do it? If I use the pro...what would be a fair price? Thanks...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 130 Engine Overhaul...

Postby Yogie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Sounds like a real good tune up is in order, something you'll do anyway if you rebuild the engine. I'd do that first, add Seafoam to the gas and maybe test the compression to see what numbers come up. Might be valves seals or rings making the smoke, hard to tell without the compression check.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 130 Engine Overhaul...

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm with Yogie. A good tune up is in order. The miss under load is probably an ignition problem but could also be a sticking valve.

What would a professional engine overhaul cost? Unknown. Depends on needed parts, machining and shop labor costs. Neighbor wanted me to overhaul his C-60 engine and asked for a quote. I told him $2100-, the cost of a short block at that time, because I would have no idea until I disassembled and measured the engine.

Ball park figure, $3000- or less, the cost of a short block.

Pricing individual parts. Around $1000- give or take. Example, a new set of sleeves and pistons is around $530-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”