This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch/Transmission

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

Clutch/Transmission

Postby Brly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am

Hi guys,
Since I don't mow with my SA anymore, it didn't get run as much this past summer. I started grinding an occasional gear this fall, but just chalked it up to not waiting long enough before shifting. Been plowing snow right along this winter. The gear grinding is getting bad. Most of the time it seems like the shaft has not slowed down at all when the clutch is in. I adjusted the clutch in the fall, but I just rechecked it Tuesday night. If i set the gap between the TO bearing and the fingers to 3/16", I get a lot more than the 1" of pedal free play that the manual suggests. And it didn't help the grinding issue at all. Occasionally, I can come to a stop and change gears quickly and it works perfectly; no grinding and slips right into gear. That's rare though.
I did some reading here and when I made the clutch adjustment the other night, I sprayed some PB blaster into the shaft splines, hoping to get it to the bushing. It wasn't ideal since the tractor was sitting level in my garage instead of front end down.
Almost forgot! Just recently (last two times I ran it), when letting the clutch out (just starting to engage) there is a growling noise that seems like it's coming from the transmission. I can feel it through the shifter. It sounds like a bearing to me, but I'm no master mechanic. Once engaged, everything is fine. No abnormal noises or issues, it's just changing gears.
Oil was changed last year and looks fine to me. Haven't pulled the transmission cover yet. Wanted to see what you folks had to say.
Thanks,
Ben

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Clutch/Transmission

Postby SONNY » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Might check the throwout bearing for dry or failing parts.-- sound does travel, but if it is in the trans.,that wouldnt cause gear grinding I wouldn't think! ---Sounds like clutch dragging ! My A kinda grinds gears, always has, but somebody put water thin oil in it and that's causing problems.--My SA has 160 in it and don't grind ever. thanks; sonny

Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brly » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I believe the throwout bearing is in good shape. Not sure how to check it. I have been good about giving it a pump of grease a couple times a year.
Maybe I'll try a heavier weight oil, but things are spinning so fast with the clutch in that I can't imagine that would fix the problem.
Thanks!
Ben

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:56 pm

The Operators Manual says on page 46 that if you adjust the TOB to 3/16", ...the "clutch pedal should have a free movement of 1 to 1/4 inches when the clutch is fully engaged." So it looks like you are at least OK there.
http://www.farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super%20A%20-%20Super%20AV/Super%20A%20-%20Super%20AV%20Owner's%20Manual/Page%2046.jpg
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm

I have been thinking about this too hard...getting a headache!! :?

Anyway, had to haul out my SA Manual, to finally find the CLUTCH RELEASE measurement (1 7/16"), since the only thing the Operators Manual addressed was the TOB distance from the fingers (3/16") and pedal freeplay (1 to 1 1/4"). Suggest you check the finger adjustment. (Should be about the same process as the cub, and there is at least one HOW TO for that.)

If this is incorrect, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in! Good luck! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Does the SA have a way to grease the pilot bearing like the H has, where you turn the flywheel to a certain point and access a grease fitting on the flywheel? Your description sounds like either a bad pilot bearing/bushing, or a bad throw out bearing. I believe the SA uses a graphite block like the cub doesn't it? Another thing I have heard of that can cause your problem is the material on the disk plate coming loose and buckling so that it keeps the transmission shaft spinning, though that is not very common.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brly
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 am

Dale - Thanks for the information. I've not adjusted the clutch fingers, but I know how it is done. 1 7/16" is the distance they need to be set to? The TOB distance to the clutch fingers is a little long at .200", but my pedal free play is way more than 1 1/4". If my fingers are out of adjustment, which I have a feeling they might be, that will correct the pedal free play after adjusting back to 3/16". Hope that's it!
John - I will have to look into the pilot bearing lube. As far as I know, it's not like an H. I've had the tractor for 3 years. The PO said he put a new clutch in it, and I believe him based on the condition of the parts I can see through the hand hole. However, I don't know if the bushing was replaced when the clutch was done. I have no problems once the clutch is fully engaged, it's just grinding gears and making noise as I let the pedal out.

I'll check the finger adjustment and see if I can get the bushing lubed somehow.
Thanks a lot guys!
Ben

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”