This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilding 2 SA's at the same time

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70578
Tractors Owned: 1 69 Cub, 3 1951 SA's and tooling for all 4

Rebuilding 2 SA's at the same time

Postby lwhiway » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:34 am

I've got a pair of SA's one is my daily runner and the other in dire need of rebuilding.

My plans so far has been to remove parts off the one not running, rebuilding that assy and then replacing it on my daily user. Once the old used assy is removed and replaced on the daily user I then move on to the next assy on the less running tractor and on and on and on.

My next step is to overhaul both engines, 123's complete with crank and cams, sleeves pistons etc etc with a rebuild of the heads.

Back in the day there was a company called OEM that furnished parts early but I understand they are no longer in business.

I'd appreciate leads on who could furnish gaskets for final drives, some needed bearings, engine major overhaul kits etc etc.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

I've been able to so far get one steering box assy up to snuff and two complete engine hydraulic pumps, one compete rebuilt touch control assy and two of the governors up tight and out of site working slickly. It's time to go into things much deeper.

These SA's are to be used for rather large truck patch work and are to be depended upon to make my farm work much easier.
I need parts suppliers please. Recommendations appreciated. something other than local dealers.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rebuilding 2 SA's at the same time

Postby Stanton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 am

Your local auto parts store sells gasket material by the roll. That, an X-acto knife and a hole punch set (Harbor Freight) and you can duplicate most of the gaskets.

Steiners carries a full line of tractor parts. Don't forget your local Case-IH dealer can still get most parts as well.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 am

On line search. There are a number of tractor parts suppliers. Valu Bilt has or had a free tractor parts catalog. The Valu Bilt catalog listed the IH part number.

Auto parts stores handle or can obtain most tractor overhaul/repair parts.

Rifle/pistol shell casings make great hole punches.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am

Eugene wrote:...Rifle/pistol shell casings make great hole punches.

That's a great tip.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am

Stanton wrote:
Eugene wrote:...Rifle/pistol shell casings make great hole punches.

That's a great tip.

:Dito:
:thumbsup:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 am

I have hopes of having both heads rebuilt with new valves, seats and guides. As well, I know on my long time family SA, I've had it since 60', I'd like to have the crank ground and have a new cam and bearings in as well. My dream is to find two new oil pumps or at least rebuild kits for those as well.

I'd really love to get a bit more oil pressure showing on the gauge.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 am

A GOOD Napa or Car-Quest can get a lot of parts for the C-113 engine. My local Car-Quest has a full service machine shop and they can do any machine shop work I need but grind a crank. If you don't have a caseIH dealer close, Messick's has an online parts store, as well as some others.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am

lwhiway wrote:I have hopes of having both heads rebuilt with new valves, seats and guides. As well, I know on my long time family SA, I've had it since 60', I'd like to have the crank ground and have a new cam and bearings in as well. My dream is to find two new oil pumps or at least rebuild kits for those as well.

I'd really love to get a bit more oil pressure showing on the gauge.
Some items on your to do list may not be necessary. Thing to do is to completely disassemble the engine, inspect, measure, and record everything. No use purchasing expensive parts or machine work if they are not needed.

New rod and main bearings, perhaps cam bearings if the tractor has them, will increase oil pressure.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 am

I don't know that there was ever a "kit" for the oil pump. Take the cover off the bottom and lap it by hand until it is flat using sandpaper and a flat surface. Check the spring for 2-15/32 free length and 1-5/8 under 26 pounds pressure, replace if out of spec. Reassemble with gaskets to have .0035 to .006 end clearance on the gears (you can use plastigage). Do that and with new crankshaft bearings pressure will be OK.

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't know that there was ever a "kit" for the oil pump.
Both of these SA's have the 123 engine. The last rebuild I did on mine was back in the 70's with just changing bearings, sleeves and pistons. No head work. I know the cams are worn on both and the seats well worn.

The other SA was my GrandFathers and saw a life of cutting several hundred acres of hay a year, raking etc plus a 5 acre truck patch each season, planting cotton and corn as well. It's never been rebuilt and has butt loads of blow by on the rings etc. It's really tired.

It will be the first to be done.

The plan is to keep posting back to this thread as work continues on both. Retirement is coming this March, so paint might not be out of the equation, but I'm sure they will never see new decals. lol

I have a machine shop with mills and lathes etc and a full welding set up and enough tools acquired over the last 50 years to not have to buy anymore of anything.

Having a friend that owns an engine rebuild shop in Laf will be the one to grind the cranks and has offered to research cam profiles for the SA's in case they need to be made. I have yet to research the availability of cams, but it's on the list of soon to do's.

I'm currently rebuilding/refurbing a Magnatrak Jr. in my shop. The single cyl eng being replaced with a twin Kaw w/ radiator cooling for to add a larger hyd pump and have hyd drive without the needs of all of those shafts and belts of it's origin. It's coming along nicely. I was amazed how much work this little thing could do and was happy with the $1,700 spent on a slightly used unit. I as well redesigned the front loader to make it a true FEL without causing to much concern for safety's sake.

lwhiway
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lwhiway » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am

I don't know that there was ever a "kit" for the oil pump.
I should have said, a seal kit etc. Not a kit.

That's good information that did make a full improvement on the first pumps attitude.

It is truly amazing how well the TC unit functions when refurbished and functioning properly.

Thanks

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”