This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Aftermarket rims for Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kingmopar
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27850

Aftermarket rims for Super A

Postby Kingmopar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Ordered some new 10 x 24 rims from a Ebay supplier, who's rims exactly matched major supplies of larger named stores online, for the same rims. If you look at most of the supplier's pictures, the "loop" is somewhat square, mine came rounded. I had already ordered some grade 8 hex head bolts and was able to get the cast side to mate up with some sweat and alot of swearing...but...the stamped side...it is really giving me a fit. The rims already came painted and I sanded, put on a light coat of 2K...and some urethane single stage silver--so now returning them is out of the question. Has anyone else had this issue with "aftermarket rims'??? Both have new 11.2 x 24 tires on there. The only thing I can think of is using a die grinder and cutting some clearance in the loops. Had to buy a drift to try to get it mounted...but left it alone, before I could say anymore cuss words. :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Aftermarket rims for Super A

Postby Super A » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 pm

I think the new rims use a carriage bolt instead of the old square head bolts. Either way, I don't like 'em. I prefer looking for good used rims, or fixing the old one.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Al is correct they are designed for carriage bolts, but I guess the seller did not mention that part to you

Kingmopar
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27850

Postby Kingmopar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Well...I originally ordered carriage head bolts and used the length described via a major tractor restoration parts supplier, which here I don't think I can mention their name--but they ended up about a 1/2 in too short if adding a grade 8 washer and flat washer. I ordered the carriage head, grade 8 bolts from a supplier in which that is all they deal with, and the price was really nice and the bolts are of high quality. I was under the impression, that the square part of the carriage head should just drop in the loop and probably would if the loop was square as in most photos I see, but the loops on these rims are a round loop and I guess if while tightening up the carriage heads, the square part might "lock" itself in the rim....I guess I'll have to give it a try. BTW...on that major supplier of rims....they spec'd carriage head on the stamped side....hex head for the cast side.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”