New Purchase things to look for

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ddub
Zip Code: 29627
Tractors Owned: '54 Cub

New Purchase things to look for

Postby ddub » Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Hey everyone,

I am planning on going out to look at a couple Super A's this week and was looking for any advice on common problems to look for when purchasing. I know that deal breakers are going to vary from person to person. I'm not necessary looking to get a turn (pull) key tractor so I am open to restoring one that doesn't run, but I don't feel like handling a cracked head or something like that.

What I am wondering is what are some Super A specific things to look for.

Thank in advance for any info!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Purchase things to look for

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Mostly, the same things as a Cub. That was pretty well covered in your other thread. Freeze cracks show in different places. The most common place is the left side of the engine block, the area obscured behind the generator and carburetor.

ddub
Zip Code: 29627
Tractors Owned: '54 Cub

Postby ddub » Mon May 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Okay awesome thanks Jim. I didn't realize they would be that similar but I guess it makes sense.

I decided I definitely want hydraulics and the cub in my post on the cub page got sold before I pulled the trigger.. There are a lot more Super A's in my area so I have started broadening my search.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 pm

See how much slop there is in the steering, and how much you can wiggle the left rear wheel by facing it, grabbing the top of the tire, and rocking side to side. If you hear/feel it bumping back and forth, it's got a lot of acres/hours. I also like to check the four cap screws on the back of the steering box where the cultivator frames slide in, to make sure they're not stripped out. None of these things are deal breakers, but give you an idea on wear n' tear.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm

My super a has been cracked behind the carb, BUT someone did a super job welding it.--antifreeze stays full--oil is clean, and motor runs great, except the governor don't work a bit! (got a new used one to put in!)---One other thing you might check, IS the crankshaft pulley TIGHT???? LOL!!!--- I have a straight a that came loose and the crank is probably worn on the end!---Other than that , if they start/steer/shift good,--- GO FOR IT!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 am

Super A wrote:See how much slop there is in the steering, and how much you can wiggle the left rear wheel by facing it, grabbing the top of the tire, and rocking side to side. If you hear/feel it bumping back and forth, it's got a lot of acres/hours. I also like to check the four cap screws on the back of the steering box where the cultivator frames slide in, to make sure they're not stripped out. None of these things are deal breakers, but give you an idea on wear n' tear.

Al

I'll second that on the steering. Don't really know why but the A's I've had and looked at seem to get slop in the steering as the steering sector wears.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

superman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70359
Tractors Owned: 1952 F-CUB

Postby superman » Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 am

Take a good look at the left final drive... any movement, cracks, welds etc. They are prone to being over stressed. I am in the process of replacing one myself, fortunately I found a donor.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”