Head crack and help needed.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmcub31
Zip Code: 74015

Head crack and help needed.

Postby Farmcub31 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Hey guys I am new to the SuperA family have always had cubs but recently was able to pickup a super A. The tractor was sitting over the last 4 months at the owners house I picked it up at, he said it has been running well before but since was not able to start it. I got it home and rebuilt the carb and went to start it and noticed it was locked up. After pulling the head I had 2 front cylinders that had light rust and carbon on them and the rear 2 that were clean. After I cleaned the head off I noticed a small crack in the head on the front water jacked hole basically where the water intake inlet is for the tractor cooling its not on the block its on the head, I hope you can see from the picture I attached. I have a few questions. first is how can I get that small crack fixed without junking the head? and second well I am here what should I do to the head and the valved? I am not planning on keeping the tractor more then 2 years or so and am not looking to dump a ton of money into it, just looking to mow with the woods mower and thats about it. Please let me know if I should take the head to a machine shop what I should say to them and also what the crack situation should be. Thanks again so much guys. Lastly I think its a 1950 A without a water pump. The picture I pasted is the water inlet hole on the head right besides the mane water hole coming from the radiator.
Attachments
image1.JPG

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Head crack and help needed.

Postby SONNY » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I see a small crack,--(could be much deeper)---Take it to the shop and they can magna-flux it and tell in a flash just what you will have.--I would get the valves ground, (while it's apart) and one thing a lot of guys do is to use "stop leak" (I never cared much for it),!---A question,--Was the moisture that caused the rust from the anti freeze or just rain water???? If it sat long with open valves, (some are always gonna be open) then just wet air can cause them to stick!----a rare occurance but possible.
See what the shop suggests and go from there.---Post back here what you find! thanks; sonny

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I took it to the machine shop and it cost$125 to fix the crack and magnaflux the head. After all that he tells me the exhaust valve seats are shot and need to be replaced, he quotes me out the for $500 for it! So I have a few questions. What does worn exhaust valve seats cause the tractor to do? It seemed to run great before all this, would it be worth trying lapping compound and see if I can salvage it a bit more, I am planning on keeping it one more season I think. Is there anything I can do to salvage the head that I have without making it a boat anchor? I wish he would have told me all this before I said fix the crack, I would have purchased a used one somewhere..... Anyways I will be picking it up tomorrow and getting it back he said the intakes are good, any thoughts on the exhaust seats? Anything I can do to make them a bit tighter and cleaner? I will be able to get my eyes on them tomorrow.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm

I am working on a Super A white demo now, I had the head gone through and it was about a $600 bill. Magnafluxed, new valves and seats, whatever it needed.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 am

Farmcub31 wrote:Any thoughts on the exhaust seats?
If the machine shop is telling you the valve seats need to be replaced, they probably do. If the seats are bad, the valves are probably bad.

If the valve seats are not to bad, they can be ground/cut, removing a bit of the face. Valves can be reground. However, it may be cheaper to buy new valves than having them reground.

You might get a second opinion.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

The shop guy SHOULD have told you the whole story up front!!!!! ----At this point,---(without seeing the head with my own eyes),--I would lap the valves,(if they stand a decent distance above the seat, and the side depth is at least ,I think they say 1/16" thick.)----otherwise different valves would be in order.
If you don't plan on pulling the tractor hard for long periods of time, or keeping long , this will work for you.
As another option , just put it back together , after laping the valves and run it!---at least MAYBE the crack is fixed!---- The shop WAS very wrong treating you like that!----Sis runs into these kind of rip-off shops too!, and that sets me into orbit!!!! thanks; sonny

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Big long story but at the end of the day my old head had so much work and cracks they did not tell me about I just decided to call it a wash and scrap it. It got sorta heated at the machine shop but finally he said if you want to just leave it here lets forget it, this stinking machine shop charges $125 per hour by the way, it had more work and money then it was worth. They really treated me poorly and I will never do business with them again but at least I don't have to pay to get my bad head out of the shop and then pay again for another used head. There is guy about 1 hour away that has a farmall C that he said the engine is locked up on, if I was interested I could have that head if its good. from doing a bit of reasearch it looks like that head will work on my tractor so I am going to look into it tomorrow. Worst case someone on here has a decent used head that is much better then what I was working with. I am really ready to get mowing but I need to get her together first!