This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A transmission woes

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pineobe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02837

Super A transmission woes

Postby Pineobe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:39 am

I have a 48-49 super A. I have always used it to plow snow/ general farming tasks. Yesterday plowing snow, the transmission started to develop a vibration/howl in reverse only. It does not always happen, but will occasionally happen only in reverse. Any ideas on where/ how to get to the root of the problem? Brandon

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A transmission woes

Postby Super A » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

If it acts/sounds ok in all the other gears, my gut reaction would be to look at the reverse idler gear first. It's not hard to pull the top cover and look around, you might want to get one of those "parts getter" magnets and stick in the oil and see what it grabs.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Pineobe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02837

Postby Pineobe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Does anyone know of a trusted rebuild house for the super A transmissions? I am certain I can get the new bearings etc, but I am not certain I can assemble it all back together with all the correct tolerances. I would be interested in sending my transmission out to a professional who has been down this road many times already instead of me doing this again next year when seal dont seal and bearings were not seated right! :help:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 pm

My first thoughts would be to wonder if it had some ice freeze up in it in the cold.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”